Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Feedback for my trip itinerary 2015/10/9 17:21
Basicly we bought tricket from 2.4-2.6(April to June) and we wanted to explore all of Japan's point of interests.
I've used the Great Japan Traverse -http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400_traverse.html and did some modifications of my own.
So that's an overview of the trip I planned:

Tokyo: 2.4-8.4
Nagoya: 9.4-11.4
Kyoto+Nara: 12.4-16.4
Osaka+Kobe: 17.4-22.4
Himeji+Hiroshima: 23.4-24.4
Fukoka: 25.4-26.4
Kagoshima: 27.4
Naha+Okinawa: 28.4-29.4
29/30.4-going back to Kyoto and if we got enough time, going to Kanzawa
Kanzawa: 1.5-2.5
Shirakwa: 3.5
Takayama: 4.5-5.5
Matsumoto: 6.5-7.5
Hirosaki: 8.5
Hakodate: 9.5-10.5
Lake Toya+Noboribetsu: 11.5-12.5
Sapporo:13.5-15.5
Asahikawa: 16.5
Shireroko+Kushiro: 17.5-18.5
16.5-we'll use half day going back to Aomori or Fukushima
Aomori: 19.5
Fukushima: 20.5
Fujiyoshida: 21.5-23.5
Tokyo (last stop): 24.5-2.6

So it's not 100% accurate and i'm sure while being schedule will change but as an overview,
do you think it covers Japan preety much? Have I included the major places ? Thanks.

by AmitBL  

Re: Feedback for my trip itinerary 2015/10/9 18:40
Oh and I wanted to know if the location are easily reached thourgh public transportation.
places like Hirosaki and Aomori, or Asahikawa, Shiretoko and Kushiro
by AmitBL rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback for my trip itinerary 2015/10/9 23:02
well it covers the "middle" of japan pretty much and seems a nice tour. for my taste there is too much tokyou in it (but i dont like this city - i am more the nature / small cities / old towns type)

Hiroshima is too little. i would add another day for miyashima there:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3401.html
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback for my trip itinerary 2015/10/9 23:54
Yeah! Found another person who would put less days in Tokyo.

It is strange that someone would put 3 days in Nagoya and 7 days in Osaka and Himeji yet only 5 measly days for Kyoto.

Question would be why not see more of Kyushu? Nagasaki is an express train ride from Fukuoka. Kagoshima is along the shinkansen line.

Two days in Kanazawa. I am beginning to think traditional culture of Japan is not your thing.

Okay, now you are confusing me. One whole day in Shirakawago, two days in Takayama, and two days in Matsumoto. The first two is uncommon but not all that rare, but the last one is stretching it... Matsumoto is a half day city at best! Are you or are you not into traditional Japan??

And everything seems fine till I see a day in Asahikawa. What do you exactly plan to do there that takes a whole day?

I guess you would be using a car for Hokkaido?

Places there should be included:
Mt Fuji area (Hakone + Fuji 5 Lakes)
Kitakyushu during the Kawafuji garden wisteria blooms
Koya san
Ise for the grand shrine and architecture
Uji for green tea plantations and used to be aristocrat summer resort
Kagoshima for all the things it offers
Beppu, Yufuin for Hot springs for the uniquely Japanese culture
Amanohashidate and Matsushima for Japan great scenic views
Okayama, Ibaraki, and Shikoku for the Japan great landscape gardens
Northern and Eastern most points of Hokkaido

Once again, why Nagoya and Osaka for so many days? Give Kyoto more credit.

by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback for my trip itinerary 2015/10/10 00:04
I'm into japanease culture, that's why I ask for a feedback.
First of all, It's a mistake, I meant to stay in Nagoya for two days.
Second, a friend told me that 5 days for Kyoto is enough, how many days needed?
And I dont know much About Kanazawa, Takayama, Shirakawa and the rest.
Tell me, how would you plan this trip? And by the way, you can cut more days from tokyo, if you think it's right.
And I'll add Nagasaki
by AmitBL rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback for my trip itinerary 2015/10/10 01:18
theoretically you can stay half a year in kyoto and still not have seen all. but for a first run, i also think 5 days is enough to cover the highlights.

takayama and matsumoto one (full) day is theoretically enought, so i think you have here travel times also? so i would remove one day here. - but maybe you wanna make a day trip to the onsens near matsumoto, which are really beautifull (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6042.html). in that case the second day in matsumoto is well used. take care: not many buses drive to this onsens, so plan carefully coming and leaving times, espeically if you have certain connection trains in mind.

on your tour to the north you might consider maybe also to drop by Dewa Sanzan (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7900.html) (2-3 days)

also i would decide between going to the very south (like joshua suggested) OR the north (like in your original plan). i would not combine both. japan looks small on the maps, but distances are HUGE, even if trains are fast. first time travels usually dent to underestimate them. maybe you chose depending on your weather preferences (warm vs cold)

i also wonder why you trip is going pretty much down and up.
if you have not booked the flights yet, i wonder why you dont fly directly to nagoya and start your tour from there. it will save you the first trip down? and fly back from tokyo...

Re: Feedback for my trip itinerary 2015/10/10 01:21
ah, and your additional tokyo days you could / should maybe use on:
Kamakura: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html
and Nikko: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3800.html

Re: Feedback for my trip itinerary 2015/10/10 03:05
Have I included the major places ?

No, you haven't. But that's not possible anyway, and guess what? You don't have to. Do your homework, find places that interest you, and stay there more than one day. By "places", I don't mean just "cities", most mid-size cities are of little interest in themselves anyway, and are only useful as bases to explore the surrounding area. That's certainly true of Hirosaki, Aomori and Fukushima.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback for my trip itinerary 2015/10/10 04:42
Firas thanks for the feedback, basicly I want to experience culture, sightings and stuff so basicly a lot of things interests me. I would really like you to recommend me on your favourite places, part of this thread is learning and improving my trip. your opinion sure matters and can change greatly.

joshua hugh I've taken some of you advices and here it is, it's really hard to minimize it into two months:

Tokyo: 2.4-8.4
Nagoya: 9.4-10.4
Kyoto+Nara: 11.4-16.4
Osaka: 17.4-20.4
Ise: 21.4-22.4
Koya-san: 23.4 -24.4
Himeji+Hiroshima+Okayama: 25.4-27.4
Fukoka+Nagasaki+Kitakyushu: 28.4-30.4
Kagoshima: 1.5-2.5
Naha+Okinawa: 3.5-4.5
Kanzawa: 5.5-6.5
Shirakwa: 7.5-8.5
Takayama: 9.5-10.5
Matsumoto: 11.5
Hirosaki: 12.5
Hakodate: 13.5-14.5
Lake Toya+Noboribetsu: 15.5-16.5
Sapporo:17.5-19.5
Asahikawa: 20.5
Shireroko+Kushiro: 21.5-22.5
Aomori: 23.5
Fukushima: 24.5
Ibaraki: 25.5
Fujiyoshida: 26.5-28.5(which include Mt fuji and 5 lakes)
Tokyo (last stop): 28.5-2.6

I'm not planning on using car in Hokkaido because I've heard that since March the Shinkansen will be active in Hokkaido.
so how is it? Kyoto got one more day, i cut about two from Osaka and added few of your recommendations
by AmitBL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback for my trip itinerary 2015/10/10 04:48
No Matsue/Izumoshi, Kanazawa, Kiso-ji?
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread