Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

16 Days in Japan 2015/10/14 02:52
Hi!

I'm going to Japan for the first time this November for 16 days. The following is my plan, but I really would like to make sure it's doable/won't lose my sanity running between places. I plan on getting the JR pass. I think 14 day one.

Day 1 Arrive in Tokyo
Day 2 Tokyo Day trip to either Nikko/Yokohama/Kamakura
Day 3 Tokyo Day Trip to Hakone/ Fuji Five Lakes
Day 4 Kyoto
Day 5 Kyoto
Day 6 Nara
Day 7 Osaka
Day 8 Mt Koya (sleeping at Mt. Koya)
Day 9 Himeji (sleeping at Miyajima)
Day 10 Miyajima (sleeping at Hiroshima or closer to Okunoshima)
Day 11 Okunoshima/Hiroshima (Okunoshima in the morning and Hiroshima in the afternoon). I plan on going to Tokyo to sleep (if feasible or stop at Kyoto/Osaka)
Day 12 Tokyo
Day 13 Tokyo Day trip out to Nikko/Yokohama/Kamakura
Day 14 Tokyo
Day 15 Tokyo
Day 16 Leave Japan

Additionally, is it better to sleep in Hakone or go back to Tokyo to get to Kyoto early the next day? Is Mt Fuji worth going to if you can't climb it? I believe there are lakes and an amusement park plus Hakone.

Also between Nikko, Yokohama, and Kamakura is one less good than the other two? Is there somewhere else even better to go?

I've read that the distance between Okunoshima and Hiroshima is quite long. Is it worth sleeping closer to the port the night before so I'll be able to see all of Hiroshima before the places close?

Also do hotels in Tokyo allow for luggage storage for long periods of time? I want to leave one of my suitcases in Tokyo while I go to all the other places. I don't really want to forward it or anything between hotels.

Thanks!
by rktenshi  

Re: 16 Days in Japan 2015/10/14 12:45
It is better to sleep in Hakone for the sole reason of staying in a ryokan with an onsen, if you are not doing so in Miyajima. It is better to return to Tokyo since you are only spending two measly days in Kyoto.

I would cut a day in Tokyo to give to Kyoto.

Yokohama is a port city. Is this what you like? I prefer to see autumn colors so I would choose Nikko or Kamakura. Considering that Nikko has more ground, and I don't want you to feel disappointed that you did not see everything... do choose Kamakura. If you are okay with not seeing everything though than Nikko is the choice. It has more natural autumn colours as compared to Kamakura's and Kyoto's autumn colours in the temples and shrines. Different atmosphere.

I agree with your sentiment on sleeping near Okunoshima. Maihama or Tadera stations (or whatever they were called) are the places to look out for.

You actually do not need much time to see Miyajima. One evening and one morning is enough. So you could, Himeji + Miyajima, Miyajima + Hiroshima, Hiroshima + Okunoshima and end the day in Tokyo or Kyoto. Or even stay overnight there. Though I don't see much point in staying overnight in an island that has only one hotel with one restaurant.

Ya. you can leave them luggage at them hotels, yo.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread