Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Admission in Japanese university 2015/10/22 19:48
I just got my SAT score and it was 1550/2400.
I know it's an average score. .
I am in last year of my high school and my current academic average is 83%.
doI have a chance to be accepted in any one of the mentioned japanese universities?
I am planning to apply to APU, Nagoya university, Waseda university and Keio university..
Please advise.
by kosawa55 (guest)  

Re: Admission in Japanese university 2015/10/28 10:13
Hello,

Can you speak Japanese? To study in a Japanese university you must be at least JLPT Level N2, and in some cases even Level N1.

https://www.jlpt.jp/e/about/levelsummary.html

What we suggest to foreign students willing to come to Japan is to enroll first in a Japanese language School in Japan.

Within a year, if you are committed to it, you can be fluent (as a foreign student in Japan you will also be able to work 28 hours per week; great to improve your Japanese and enough for your expenses).
Then you will be able to go to a higher education institute in Japan - the language school counselors will actually guide you and help you find the right university.

So, come first to study the language and then many doors will open to you.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

http://motivistjapan.com/
by Motivist rate this post as useful

Re: Admission in Japanese university 2015/10/28 11:15
Hi,

I understand that some of the courses in Waseda University are conducted in English and they do offer scholarships for overseas students.

However, students are expected to learn and pick up Japanese language during the course of study which is a bonus as you acquire a third language during your uni education.

Do check with the administration office for details. However, I understand that they only offer the few scholarship to students from the top high schools.

Wish you all the best !
by DL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Admission in Japanese university 2015/10/28 18:43
Thank you very much for your response!

I have passed N1 with 165/200 score and i can speak fluently.
But i prefer to study in English because i have been going to an English medium school. That is why i am planning to apply for English based program.
I am concerned if my SAT scores and academic score of 83% will get me into any of the universities mentioned..
any one has any idea?
by kosawa55 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Admission in Japanese university 2015/11/9 16:57
The average SAT score for Waseda SILS is 1800. They mainly care about the SAT (or ACT) score.

Get your score within that ball park and you're golden.
by anon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Admission in Japanese university 2015/11/26 22:55
Hello,
To ensure the chance to be accepted, you should also focus on your application, especially if you apply for Nagoya University. I am also worried about my SAT scores , too, but my neighbor learning at Nagoya University said that the application essay is actually as important as the scores. So I feel a bit relieved.
I also apply for Waseda University and Nagoya University this year,too.
I am happy to share information about applying to these school.
by Anhnguyen rate this post as useful

Re: Admission in Japanese university 2015/11/30 14:41
what is your GPA? two of the institutions you mentioned, waseda and keio, generally will not even look at your application if you are below their "non-publicized" GPA cut-off. last year, waseda's GPA cut-off was a 3.9, and anything below was a no-go. i have not been in direct contact with a keio admissions rep, but i believe it is near the same level. generally, students within japan applying to those universities (to the english programs) have a 4.0 GPA and at a least a 1600-1800 SAT score. if you say you have 83%, i don't know what that translates to in a GPA except going by western (american) standards, and that GPA would be about a 3.15 or so, and would be very, very low compared to the other students they would be looking at. just something to think about. you may need to look at more mid-range schools, such as rikkyo (which has an english program) or dokkyo, as japanese schools are very concerned with high school GPA.
by kay (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread