Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kinkakuji from Heian by rail? 2015/11/9 14:14
i am hearing city buses will be packed in late November. What is the best route by rail from Heian are to Kinkakuji and then from there to Arashiyama?

We initally planned a bus to kinkakuji and cab from there to arashiyama ....then train from there back to Heian area where our Machiya is.
by Will Lazarus  

Re: Kinkakuji from Heian by rail? 2015/11/9 16:09
It's not possible to travel to Kinkakuji by rail; there is no nearby train station, only bus stops. The nearest train station is 40 minutes walk away! Buses are the best public transport route to access Kinkakuji. You could take a cab, but it may get expensive, especially if the traffic is bad.

by , (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kinkakuji from Heian by rail? 2015/11/9 16:10
I suppose you will be staying in a Machiya house near Heian Jingu shrine, going to Kinkakuji then Arashiyama and then back to Heian Jingu area to sleep at night.

Kinkakuji opens at 9, and if you will take a bus which reaches earlier than this time (maybe bus No. 204), the crowds and the traffic jam are not so bad. The earlier, then less crowds.

Use Arukumachikyoto as the traveling guide.

http://www.arukumachikyoto.jp/index.php?lang=en

After Kinkakuji, just walk down "Kinukakenomichi" to Ryoanji and then Ninnaji. There is Ninnaji train station of Randen which will take you to Arashiyama. You will be in Arashiyama around noon, I think.

From Arashiyama, take JR train from Saga-Arashiyama station to Nijo station and then transfer to Kyoto municipal subway from Nijo to Higashiyama or Keage. You can find the route easily on Arukumachikyoto (Arukumachi means town for walking).
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Kinkakuji from Heian by rail? 2015/11/11 13:00
Great info! And thank you , you have confirmed what I suspected. The web site is a huge help also.

We are imdeed staying at a machiya, and I will take your advice and go early to avoid the bus crowds.

The train route back is exactly what I had in mind.

Any suggested things to see in Arashiyama besides the well known stuff. We were going to rent bikes and go up the mountain road a bit to a smaller shrine someone mentioned ....Nijo??? Many sculptures and supose to be off the tourist walks.

Good resturant suggestions welcome!
by Will Lazarus rate this post as useful

reply to this thread