Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Discount domestic flight search engine? 2015/11/27 20:43
Hello everyone,

Is there a search engine/travel website that returns results for all of the various discount airlines that do domestic flights in Japan (e.g. Peach, Skymark, etc), or do I have to look at each operator's website individually?

Thanks very much.
by Winter Visitor  

Re: Discount domestic flight search engine? 2015/11/27 22:47
www.skyscanner.net I think has them all, certainly Peach and Skymark from a quick look.

Didn't realise how cheap some could be, £25 for Osaka to Tokyo with Peach!
by wrexhamandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Discount domestic flight search engine? 2015/11/27 23:33
Thanks a lot, Andy.

I must need to refine my search techniques...I was using skyscanner to look in the first place (embarrassed smiley face emoji)!!

Cheers.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Discount domestic flight search engine? 2015/11/28 08:07
While generally higher, the ANA Experience Japan fare is also available, and offers more destinations.
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/wws_common/promotion/experience_jp/
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Discount domestic flight search engine? 2015/11/30 17:19
Thanks, ken

Re: Discount domestic flight search engine? 2015/11/30 17:23
The EJ fare also has the advantage of being fixed. Low-cost airlines are not so low-cost on weekends and holidays (although as a traveler you can mitigate this by scheduling your flights in the middle of the week and avoiding holidays).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Discount domestic flight search engine? 2015/11/30 19:58
Thanks, guys.

We're trying to plan a trip next March/April where we go:

- London to Tokyo to Naha (one journey, change in Tokyo. N.B. Tokyo is the only place you can fly direct to from London). Couple of days in Naha.
- Naha to (possibly) Ishigaki (or one of the other more southerly islands) for probably three nights
- Yakushima for 3 nights
- Kyushu (mainly Kurokawa/Aso) for 3 nights
- Tokyo for 4-5 nights (probably including a daytrip to Kamakura)
- back to London

It may be the last time we get to go to Japan for a while, and so we're concentrating on places that we've either never been to before (the Okinawan islands, Yakushima), places we LOVE (Kurokawa), and are adding Tokyo, because in pretty much all our previous trips we've either avoided it altogether or have only spent a minimal time there, in a rush to get out of the big cities and into the countryside.

However, this trip will probably involve lots of flights and so I'm keen to get a handle on how well the various options connect together (especially as on one day we might be waking up in Ishigaki and hoping to sleep that night in Yakushima, which will mean 3 flights at the least - assuming we don't get the ferry from Kagoshima to Yakushima), and trying to make sure that the whole trip isn't prohibitively expensive.

Thanks for all your comments and tips. Much appreciated.

Re: Discount domestic flight search engine? 2015/11/30 20:24
especially as on one day we might be waking up in Ishigaki and hoping to sleep that night in Yakushima, which will mean 3 flights at the least - assuming we don't get the ferry from Kagoshima to Yakushima

Can be done with just two flights (one stop in Fukuoka or Osaka). However, flights to Yakushima are very expensive, with no discount available.

Re: Discount domestic flight search engine? 2015/11/30 20:52
Ah, never mind, Ishigaki-Fukuoka flights run only in the summer. Also, Ishigaki-Osaka flights go only to Kansai, but Osaka-Yakushima flights are from Itami, so that would not be ideal either...

Re: Discount domestic flight search engine? 2015/12/1 18:48
Thanks for the suggestion, Firas, and thanks a lot for checking and getting back to me with the update. I really appreciate it.

We could take the ferry from Kagoshima to Yakushima to cut costs, and we're also considering tweaking the route and going: Ishigaki-Naha-Fukuoka (all on one day)-Kurokawa/Aso by car-back to Kurokawa airport to drop off the car, then flying to Yakushima from Kurokawa.

I know this will be an expensive trip with all those flights, but we may not be in a position to return to Japan for a few years, and we really want to go to both the Okinawan islands and Yakushima, so we'll just have to go without Christmas presents and sell any spare kidneys ;0)

My main concern with having a trip that involves so many flights on one day is that I don't really want to rely on all the connections working as they should.

reply to this thread