Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan in January 2015/11/28 11:58
Hi. I'm a first-time traveler to Japan and my trip will be from 12th January for 2 weeks. Arriving and departing via Tokyo. My planning right now looks more concentrated on southern Japan - Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto and Hakone. Is there any city on my list that is not really worth visiting during winter? Any suggestions on what better places to visit?

Thanks
by Ruzanna (guest)  

Re: Japan in January 2015/11/28 15:37
None of those cities is in southern Japan. Three are in western Japan, and one is in eastern Japan.

Since you asked, I would skip Hakone and go to Tokyo instead, which is very close. If you're going to Tokyo you can skip Osaka. And you can skip Hiroshima and go to Fukuoka instead.

I think Kyoto may be the coldest city on your itinerary.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in January 2015/11/28 16:01
The golden route of Tokyo - Hakone - Kyoto - Osaka - Hiroshima is fine any time of the year. Since you have 2 weeks, you will be able to cover those cities easily.

Under "Travel Planning," there is a "itinerary suggestion" function, so you might try that :)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in January 2015/11/28 23:29
Considering the cold climate, a visit to hakone or any hot springs are always welcomed. It is said that mt Fuji is better visible in winter due to clearer air. So going to the surrounding area sounds good.
2 weeks for only these 3 places may be a bit longer. I could spend a week in Kyoto, but not everyone has the same taste as me. So I would suggest some time in Tokyo, and the cities in hyogo/Okayama prefectures.
by Jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in January 2015/12/4 14:12
Thanks all for the replies. I will actually be visiting Tokyo too of course. I was thinking of saving it for the last though, since I will be departing from Tokyo anyway.

Once arriving (via Haneda), I'm thinking of going down to Hiroshima and then make my way back up, ending in Tokyo.

Since I'll be at the airport anyway, would it be wiser to take a domestic flight to Hiroshima instead of train?
by Ruzanna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in January 2015/12/4 14:23
Since I'll be at the airport anyway, would it be wiser to take a domestic flight to Hiroshima instead of train?

Yes, that is an option. Keep in mind that Hiroshima Airport is located way outside the city. More info here:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3404.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in January 2015/12/5 00:57
while you are travelling from Hiroshima to Kyoto you can make a stop-over at Okayama and Himeji to take a look at the castles there.

in my opinion, you can skip Osaka. or make it a short day trip from Kyoto while you are there.

if you plan getting a Japan Rail Pass (might be worthwhile), it would make most sense to go to Hiroshima by Shinkansen rather than flight.
by George (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in January 2015/12/8 21:33
Thanks for the comments? What about Hokkaido? Is it worth visiting in January?

Re: Japan in January 2015/12/8 23:22
Also, is it doable to cover both Okayama and Himeji from Kyoto?

Re: Japan in January 2015/12/9 00:21
If you keep your destinations to the main sites, Himeji Castle (Himeji) and Korakuen Garden (Okayama), you can definitely see both.

You should also have a little time to see a few other places, like Okayama Castle, Yumeji Art Museum, Hayashibara Museum, etc. in Okayama or maybe Kokoen Garden in Himeji, but it's not very impressive compared to Korakuen.
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in January 2015/12/9 06:40
For a brief first visit:
Hiroshima - pretty city, some good attractions. (I wouldn't go to Fukuoka instead)
Visit Himeji or Okayama for the castle on the way back to Kyoto if you like castles.
Kyoto - lots to see and do (skip Osaka as you are going to Tokyo)
Hakone - depends on preferences. If you want to see Fuji, the train is a good option if it is clear, and if not, you wouldn't see it anyway). Consider some other mountain area (and for onsen maybe).
Tokyo - also lots to do, but it can be spread out, and just going to a generic area (like Shinjuku) doesn't necessarily make good tourism spots, seek out specific things to make the most of your time.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in January 2015/12/9 22:23
Hey, I'm also going to Japan to travel on Jan 13-29 alone. Planning to buy the JR pass for 2weeks. Dont have an itinerary yet. Planning to travel few places like Osaka Hokkaido etc.

Planning to travel on capsule hotels and maybe 1-2days ryokan for the experience and cheap but clean hostels.

Would like to know how much is an average meal in Japan? Something lke a family restaurant or simple meal costs?

Worth to go Universal Studio Japan?

Estimated budget is 285,000 JPY enough in your opinion?

Came across a website whch had interesting places. Worth visiting? Like Kamakura, Nikko, Shirakawa etc..
http://www.japan-talk.com/jt/new/japanese-towns
by Yang (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread