Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Daytrip in Matsumoto 2015/12/12 15:54
Hi All,

I need some ideas what i shall not miss in Matsumoto in 4 Jan 2016, i will be coming from Takayama. My wife and I will be putting up a night in Matsumoto before heading back to Tokyo. I plan to arrive Matsumoto right before noon.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

by CanonA95  

Re: Daytrip in Matsumoto 2015/12/13 18:32
Matsumoto Castle (open from January 4):
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6051.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip in Matsumoto 2015/12/13 18:37
I think Matsumoto castle is a worth visiting spot as it is one of old
Japanese castles(National Treasure)
Spending one night in Asama Onsen may be one idea.
by Tak (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip in Matsumoto 2015/12/14 09:47
Thanks for the replies. Anymore replies? If that the case I might just pass by Matsumoto and visit the castle for day trip and stay in Tokyo.
by CanonA95 rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip in Matsumoto 2015/12/14 17:56
Other people will have other opinions, but visiting Matsumoto can be completed in half a day (without travel). For me, there is a nice historic area near the castle and the castle itself.
by mfedley (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip in Matsumoto 2015/12/22 07:35
Stay the night in Matsumoto and visit the castle again at night to see it illuminated. It is a beautiful sight. Before that, walk along Nawate Dori with rows of quaint shops with a recurring frog theme.
by hosg15 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip in Matsumoto 2015/12/22 09:16
On your way to Matsumoto from Takayama, make sure to see Kamikochi, it's the most beautiful place in Japan!
by Jenn Jett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip in Matsumoto 2015/12/22 17:35
Basashi! This region has some of the best.

A restaurant at the following location does an excellent 9 course horse banquet. Get there early, as the only serve 30 (50?) banquets per evening, and there may be a queue after 7pm. It is both delicious, filling, and somewhat out of the ordinary - a memorable dinner. It was recommended to me by the Nagano tourist office, it's not on the 'gourmet map', but most restaurants are.

Japan, §390-0811 Nagano-ken, Matsumoto-shi, Chūō, 1 Chome|7|17. Google will find it for you.

It is 400m directly east from the main steps of the railway station, the first shop down the small street on the left. This small street continues down to the Parco department store.
by insecteater rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip in Matsumoto 2015/12/23 17:39
correction - I meant to say:
"... but most restaurants aren't."
ie. the 'gourmet map' only lists a small subset of the restaurants that exist in Matsumoto
by insecteater rate this post as useful

reply to this thread