Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

directions to hoshi onsen chojukan 2015/12/14 11:51
i am departing takaragawa onsen after staying 2 nights to hoshi Onsen chojukan. is there any public bus that i can take from takaragawa onsen directly to hoshi onsen?
by dennis (guest)  

Re: directions to hoshi onsen chojukan 2015/12/14 12:51
is there any public bus that i can take from takaragawa onsen directly to hoshi onsen?

No, and the public transport options are not good, since it involves 3 different buses with with terrible connections (Takaragawa - Jomo Kogen Station - Sarugakyo - Hoshi Onsen). Best to rent a car or take a taxi if possible. Otherwise, you'll probably want to opt for a taxi from Jomo Kogen to Hoshi Onsen at the very least to save about 4 hours of transfer time.

i am departing takaragawa onsen after staying 2 nights to hoshi Onsen chojukan.

As much as I love Takaragawa Onsen, 2 nights may be too much time to spend there.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: directions to hoshi onsen chojukan 2015/12/15 01:05
Hi thank you very much for the info. Another question is how do I get to jigokudani monkey park from takaragawa onsen?

Thank you
by Dennis (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: directions to hoshi onsen chojukan 2015/12/15 10:40
Another question is how do I get to jigokudani monkey park from takaragawa onsen?

If you are driving then it's about a 3 hour drive north via the Kanetsu Expressway and surface streets.

If you are taking public transport then you'll have to go south via Takasaki and Nagano. Takes about 3-4 hours depending on the connections.

Re: directions to hoshi onsen chojukan 2015/12/15 12:38

to hoshi Onsen chojukan

Courtesy of TravelBunnyO :

" if you are travelling by train & bus you need to take a bus to Sarugakyo and then change to another bus to get to Chojukan (known as Hoshi Onsen locally). There are only 4 buses to Hoshi Onsen daily - 2 in the morning (8.50am, 9.35am) & 2 in the afternoon (3.05pm, 3.55pm). If you miss the last connecting bus you can't get a taxi from Sarugakyo so will need to take a taxi from the train station at Jomo Kogen (which costs about 8500Yen)."
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: directions to hoshi onsen chojukan 2015/12/15 12:58

This could be useful info :
http://www.onsenexpress.com/site/display/displayonsen.php?displayonsen...

Local Train Station: Jomokogen
Options to Hoshi onsen are as follows: Take the public bus to Sarugakyo and transfer to an onsen shuttle to get to Hoshi. You must make arrangements in advance with the ryokan if you choose to be picked up in Sarugakyo.
Another option is to take the Takaragawa Onsen public bus from Jomokogen station. It goes directly to the ryokan and takes about an hour.
And a third option is to take the public bus from Jomokogen Station bound for Yunogoya and get off at the Takaragawa Onsen Iriguchi bus stop. The Hoshi onsen shuttle can pick you up and drive you the last couple of kilometers. Remember to call the onsen to arrange for a shuttle pick-up
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: directions to hoshi onsen chojukan 2015/12/15 16:23

I am planning to visit the onsen as well, only departing from Tokyo. Here is the direction I received:

Take a bus from JR Jomokogen train station
(Departure Times are: 14:10 and 14:55) to Sarugakyo Bus Stop (Approximately a 30 minute bus ride and the cost is 860 yen one way).
At Sarugakyo Bus Stop please change buses and take the bus to Hoshi Onsen (Approximately a 15 minute bus ride).
The buses leave at 15:04 and 15:56.
You can also take a taxi from Sarugakyo Bus Stop to Hoshi Onsen (It takes approximately 15 minutes at a cost of about 3,000 yen).

From the Hoshi Onsen to the Sarugakyo Bus Stop, the bus leaves at 09:05, 09:50, 15:30 and 16:15.

From the Sarugakyo Bus Stop to Jomokogen, the bus leaves at 09:30, 10:20, 16:04 and 16:40.

Re: directions to hoshi onsen chojukan 2015/12/16 13:19
Another option is to take the Takaragawa Onsen public bus from Jomokogen station. It goes directly to the ryokan and takes about an hour.
And a third option is to take the public bus from Jomokogen Station bound for Yunogoya and get off at the Takaragawa Onsen Iriguchi bus stop. The Hoshi onsen shuttle can pick you up and drive you the last couple of kilometers. Remember to call the onsen to arrange for a shuttle pick-up

No, this is very incorrect. Seems that website is mixing up access to Takaragawa with Hoshi.

Keep in mind that the OP is leaving Takaragawa Onsen in the morning, not Tokyo. This makes it more complicated as the connections to Jomo Kogen Station are very limited. Basically the public transport options are:

1. Take the free shuttle bus from Takaragawa departing at 9:30 arriving at Jomo Kogen at 10:30. Wait for the 14:00 bus to Sarugakyo (860 yen) and the Hoshi Onsen shuttle (note you must reserve in advance). Use the downtime to get lunch. Unfortunately there are not many food options around the station.

Alternatively, take a taxi from Jomo Kogen to Hoshi (about 8500 yen) and save yourself several hours of waiting.

2. Take the 10:45 local bus from Takaragawa Onsen to Minakami (1150 yen, arrives 11:23). Transfer to the 11:38 bus to Jomo Kogen Station (620 yen, arrives 12:03). Wait 2 hours for the 14:00 departure to Sarugakyo and Hoshi Onsen shuttle. Again, use the downtime to get lunch.

3. Depart Takaragawa Onsen around 13:00 by taxi for Jomo Kogen Station (about 10,000 yen). Catch the 14:00 Sarugakyo bus.

4. Take a taxi the entire way. Takes about 1 hour and costs around 16000 yen.

Personally I would opt for option 1 (with taxi) or 4 as they are the easiest and smoothest.

Btw Liem, where do you get your info. Hoshi Onsen's website says the bus departs Jomo Kogen at 14:00 instead of 14:10. If it's 14:10 that would actually open up a later departure option.

Re: directions to hoshi onsen chojukan 2015/12/16 13:37

where do you get your info. Hoshi Onsen's website says the bus departs Jomo Kogen at 14:00 instead of 14:10

reply to this thread