Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best place to exchange cash (Narita/Sapporo) 2016/1/12 13:57
Hi, the banks charge a lot to exchange money here in Canada, I'm hoping somebody can help me find an exchange with good rates in Sapporo, or possibly Nartita Airport since we have a 2h lay-over there on our way.

Arigatou gozaimasu!
by Higgz  

Re: Best place to exchange cash (Narita/Sapporo) 2016/1/12 18:53
For immediate cash, you can exchange at Narita airport (there are a few bank counters there). For the rest of the journey, have you considered making withdrawals from ATM machines with your bank card?

Please scroll down to: "How to get your Yen" - "ATM Withdrawal" around the middle of this page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2196.html
Please read "more information," too, if you have Maestro cards with IC chips.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best place to exchange cash (Narita/Sapporo) 2016/1/12 22:20
Are you in the Toronto area? There's a few places that give you a decent rate, although I find the banks aren't terrible. Calforex on Queen Street is always good, and they have a buyback guarantee.

Airports are a TERRIBLE place to exchange money. They know you're a captive audience and charge much higher rates, with nasty service fees to boot.
by DarkRiderTommy rate this post as useful

Re: Best place to exchange cash (Narita/Sapporo) 2016/1/12 23:18
Tommy, if your travel experience is up to date, then you don't have a clue as to what rates you get at banks at the Tokyo airports. They are quite good, though not so good for Canadian Dollars, and they are pretty much the same as other exchange offices. Canadian Dollars aren't as attractive as US Dollars and the rate shows. But that rate would be pretty consistent wherever you go in Japan. Your best bet is ATM withdrawals from a bank that doesn't charge foreign fees.
by <> (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best place to exchange cash (Narita/Sapporo) 2016/1/13 04:25
Sounds like being a Canadian is rough for changing money, our banks and credit cards charge 2.5% or more on top of their normal rates. I figured I might be able to do better than that once in Japan. Anybody else with any suggestions?
by Higgz rate this post as useful

Re: Best place to exchange cash (Narita/Sapporo) 2016/1/13 06:18
Traveller's checks at Narita Airport will give you a better rate than cash. However, your two hour layover probably doesn't give you enough time. I wonder if they accept TCS at Chitose airport.
by Faiyez rate this post as useful

Re: Best place to exchange cash (Narita/Sapporo) 2016/1/14 06:43
Great suggestion on the travelers checks, it seems that is the best way to get a good rate, I'll certainly explore that as an option.

I've also discovered my bank will only charge $5 for a foreign withdrawal from my bank account, I'm not sure what charges I might encounter from a Japanese ATM, any ideas? If they are low then large withdrawals of cash are probably much better than using my CC as they will charge 2.5%
by Higgz rate this post as useful

reply to this thread