Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tsukiji Tuna Auction 2016/1/13 13:02
Hello,

I would like to experience the tuna auction. I will be arriving Tokyo on 18 March 2016 and planned to go for the auction on 19 Mach 2016. What would be the best time to start queueing to ensure that I would be in line for the auction? Iwould be staying close to the market.

Further, after the auction, I would like to have my breakfast there. Can I have my breakfast right after the auction? Which is the best stall you would suggest.

Many thanks in advance.
by Athilia  

Re: Tsukiji Tuna Auction 2016/1/13 16:54
The recommendations I have seen are to start queuing about 3:30 am, but that does not guarantee a spot. Staying close to the market helps, otherwise a taxi fare could be expensive getting across town.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Tuna Auction 2016/1/13 17:31
Try Sushi Dai
by Mar (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Tuna Auction 2016/1/14 02:18
We got there at 3 am and just made the cut off of the first group. The Second group was full at about 4 am. (Max 120)

I suggest staying near by Tsukiji and walk to avoid the expensive taxis at night. We stayed at APA Tsukiji last time.

Hope this helps!!
Have Fun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Tuna Auction 2016/1/14 15:37
Dear All,

Thanks for your useful feedbacks. I am planning to start queueing at 2.30am(just in case). I booked my hostel through airbnb and it states that the market is 2 mins away.

May I know what time does Sushi Dai starts their business as I am planning to have my breakfast right after auction so that I can go to Fuji Q after breakfast.

Many thanks.
by Athilia rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Tuna Auction 2016/1/14 18:47
The good old Tsukiji Tuna auction! Well; first; the only reason you're not crazy to queue at the unholy hours is, this is it! The market is moving next year and I'd bet all my jar full of one yen coins that the tuna auction will be closed to the public after that. I just visited the market (got off the subway across the street at the ungodly hour of 9:00). I like it but then I like industrial tours. The old market is literally overrun with tourists and Japanese couples on dates; I love it but it is an acquired taste. You will wait in long lines at all of the restaurants in the outer market and pay double the going rate in Tokyo for your micro-portion dish. What the market IS good for is window (there are no windows) shopping the exquisite fruits and vegetables being sold to the fanciest restaurants, beautiful dishware and kitchen gear if you have some way to schlep it all home, and in summertime, the always chilled air inside the main market where you dodge bicycles, forklifts, and big delivery trucks which don't slow down. I went to Tokyo station after spending my two hours at Tsukiji and ate a big Hawaiian burger (bloody yank I am!) but there is a district just beyond the markets big truck yards with some rather unique food based on the market. Saw it on Anthony Bourdain once and it is covered in japan-guides section on Central Tokyo. Enjoy, yall.
by johnnyman9 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Tuna Auction 2016/1/15 01:38
I believe Sushi Dai opens at 5am so you should be good.
Also should wear warmer clothes as the waiting area is not heated and should also bring a book or extra battery for your phone to play games.

Hope this helps!!
Have Fun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Tuna Auction 2016/1/15 12:57
Thank you so much. I read the post that people starts queueing for Sushi Dai at 3am. My plan is to queue for the tuna auction at 2.30am with my cousin and another cousin will queue for Sushi Dai at around 4.30am so when we are out from the auction we can join him and have our breakfast.

All your feedbacks have been useful for me to plan my "strategy".
by Athilia rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Tuna Auction 2016/1/16 04:27
19 March is a sunday there may donLt have an auction
by clampp rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Tuna Auction 2016/1/16 04:32
ops sorry wrong day
by clampp rate this post as useful

reply to this thread