Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Takayama during Matsuri Spring Festival 2016/1/26 10:12
Hi,
I will be in Japan in April for the first time with my mom. We would arrive in Takayama on April 15th, coming from Kanasawa, and there is very little acommodation available.
We`ve made reservations for two nights at Hiratakan ryokan in the Okuhida onsen, but it seems far from the old town.

- Is it easy to go from there to the city center and back at night?
- Should we also book 1 or 2 more nights at Takayama city center after the festival, so we can explore the city more calmly?
- Is it worth spending a night at Matsumoto or Shirakawa-go at the 18th?
- Or do you recommend staying at Shirakawa-go or Matsumoto for the first night to avoid the crowds and then get to Takayama? Please note that on the 19th we head to Tokyo to travel back home.

Many thanks!

by Raquel (guest)  

Re: Takayama during Matsuri Spring Festival 2016/1/26 21:26
Regarding the bus service between Takayama and Okuhida Onsen, please refer to the website below:
http://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/hirayu_shinhotaka.html
As it is shown, the last bus departure time from Takayama bound for Okuhida Onsen is 18:40. So you may not be able to enjoy night festival.
You have already booked at ryokan in Okuhoda Onsen, however it may be more convenient to stay at Gero Onsen considering transportation to/from Takayama since not only bus service but also JR Takayama Line is available. Also Gero Onsen has much more capacity of accomodations.

by Hirohiroboy rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama during Matsuri Spring Festival 2016/1/26 21:42
Thanks, Hirohiroboy.
I've made reservations at the Hida Takayama Washington Hotel Plaza for the first two nights, it seems more convenient located for enjoying the Matsuri Festival and Takayama attractions, am I right?

For the follwing two nights, do you think we should spend both of them at the Okuhida onsen?

We want to do some trekking, relax, enjoy the onsen and spend a day exploring Shirakawa-go. So my question is if we should do Shirakawa-go as a day trip or spend the night there?
What about Matsumoto? Is it worth the trip?

by Raquel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama during Matsuri Spring Festival 2016/1/27 20:21
It's good that you were able to book hotel in Takayama and Okuhida Onsen.
Regarding the trip to Shirakawago from Okuhida Onsen, It's up to you to stay overnight in Shirakawago or not. In my personal opinion, a day trip is enough for Shirakawago.
You may visit Matsumoto to see famous Matsumoto Castle and enjoy shopping and eating in the traditional old streets.
Anyway I think your itinerary for this trip is fantastic and exciting since you can enjoy traditional Japanese Matsuri festival, go to Onsen, experience folk village, trek the Japan Alps and view Japanese castle.
Have a nice trip!
by Hirohiroboy rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama during Matsuri Spring Festival 2016/1/27 21:27
Yeay!!!! So excited! Thanks for your help!
by Raquel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama during Matsuri Spring Festival 2016/3/6 22:00
Hi Raquel ,

I'm making plans to visit takayama for the festival too, and came across your thread.

I understand that you are arriving in takayama on 15 April. From what I understand, this is the second day of the festival and that if you are interested in the night celebrations, you should aim to arrive on 14 April instead as its held on the first day. It's might first time attending the festival though so I might be wrong!

Perhaps others may confirm if this is the case, thanks!
by Ark (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread