Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR West Rail Pass from Kyoto 2016/2/1 04:48
I have a question, if I purchase the JR West Rail Pass can I take the SHINKANSEN NOZOMI or SHINKANSEN HIKARI from Kyoto to Hiroshima or do I have to go to Shin Osaka first?

I have this doubt because in the conditions of JR Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass says this:
Unlimited use of non-reserved seats on the Sanyo Shinkansen (including Nozomi and Mizuho) between Shin-Osaka and Hiroshima. However, the Tokaido Shinkansen between Kyoto and Osaka is not covered.

I am a little bit confused, what I want is a pass that allows to take the shinkasen from Kyoto to go to Hiroshima without making any transfer.

Thanks hor the help.
by IratxeEowyn (guest)  

Re: JR West Rail Pass from Kyoto 2016/2/1 08:48
I am a little bit confused, what I want is a pass that allows to take the shinkasen from Kyoto to go to Hiroshima without making any transfer.

The only pass that allows this is the nationwide Japan Rail Pass. The section between Kyoto and Shin-Osaka is not covered by JR West rail passes because the section is part of the JR Tokaido Shinkansen which is operated by JR Central and not by JR West. JR West operates the Sanyo Shinkansen west of Shin-Osaka.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: JR West Rail Pass from Kyoto 2016/2/1 08:53
So.... I would need to go from kyoto to shin-osaka first and then take from there the shinkasen to Hiroshima, right?

And what about that train from kyoto to shin-osaka? Is covered by the JR West rail pass or do I need to get a ticket for that?

Thanks in advance.
by IratxeEowyn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR West Rail Pass from Kyoto 2016/2/1 09:45
Take the local train from Kyoto to Shin-Osaka, then take the Sanyo shinkansen from Shin-Osaka to Hiroshima.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR West Rail Pass from Kyoto 2016/2/1 09:51
Thanks.

I also see that there is another type of pass Kansai-Hiroshima pass, the big difference between this and the Sanyo pass seems to be that the Sanyo allows to reserve seats right? I mean in my case I only want to travel to Hiroshima so the difference between these two passes in my case would be to have reserved seats or not right?
by IratxeEowyn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR West Rail Pass from Kyoto 2016/2/1 18:21
Another difference is that the Sanyo-Sanin pass (I suppose that's what you are referring to) is valid for 7 days (versus 5 for the Kansai-Hiroshima pass), so you could maybe use it for more trips.
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread