Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shikoku trip update & quick thanks 2016/2/2 22:37
Hi All,

This weekend, I'll be heading off to Shikoku for 2 weeks and wanted to thank the many people in the forum who've provided advice and suggestions. It's helped guide me to some different places to visit.

Apart from the Iya Valley, I'll be visiting most of the major sites along with a couple of smaller towns such as Aki, Ozu and Tosashimazu

I'll also be making some posts in the user guide section. As I'll be making quite a few posts - if anyone has any feedback on the first couple of posts to make them more user friendly, that would be much appreciated....
by mfedley  

Re: Shikoku trip update & quick thanks 2016/2/3 09:39
Looking forward to your impressions of Shikoku.

Don't know if you are interested but I enjoyed the Calligraphy and Historical Museums in Aki.
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Shikoku trip update & quick thanks 2016/2/3 09:41

On the way to Matsuyama, you might want to have a quick visit to Asahi beer in IYO-SAIJO . Free tour, free beer and free transport from the station.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shikoku trip update & quick thanks 2016/2/3 20:26
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think someone spoke strongly about Aki and I'll be visiting there as a result.

On the beer factory - I'm unfortunately driving which means I'll have to be alcohol free - even though there is free alcohol (possibly). I'll consider it though if time allows as I enjoyed my trip to the Sapporo Beer museum a couple of years ago....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Shikoku trip update & quick thanks 2016/2/3 20:48

Forgot to mention that if you managed to visit the beer factory, you might be allowed to purchase a bottle of World's 2015 Best Blended Malt Nikka Whisky "Taketsuru Pure Malt 17 Years Old"
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shikoku trip update & quick thanks 2016/2/3 21:53
Have a wonderful time!
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Shikoku trip update & quick thanks 2016/2/6 19:41
I hope the Travel Reports will appear somewhere visible.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Shikoku trip update & quick thanks 2016/2/7 07:33
They will be posted on the homepage as guest blogs:
http://www.japan-guide.com/
by admin rate this post as useful

Re: Shikoku trip update & quick thanks 2016/2/7 07:52
Thanks, admin....mfedley's earlier home page blog/photos was terrific imo!

:)

Re: Shikoku trip update & quick thanks 2016/2/8 21:55
Thanks for the confirmation, admin. I was waiting to see if new ones would appear on the front page, but then no one wrote any, so I wasn't sure.

Re: Shikoku trip update & quick thanks 2016/2/9 14:43
mfedley's blog is on the home page now.....terrific as usual.
Thanks!

Re: Shikoku trip update & quick thanks 2016/2/9 17:58
Thanks admin for putting everything up so quickly. Also thanks for the feedback Maranyc

At present, I've just watched the sunset next to my yurt accommodation looking over the ocean on Naoshima.

Re: Shikoku trip update & quick thanks 2016/2/21 10:11
Well I've just finished my holiday and am going back to the airport. The posts (17 in all) will be staggered over 2 days so there is around another 11 posts to go.

For those who have not visited Shikoku, some must go places include Naoshima, Seiyo, Uchiko and Matsuyama castle.

I also visited Aki like some people suggested - but the weather dampened it a little. It would be a fantastic place to visit during a warm (20-25C) spring or Autumn day.

One thing I also did was attend the Naked Man Festival in Okayama like suggested. I managed to watch all of the kids performances and got saturated with the continual rain (someone stole my umbrella - the clear ones which are seen as communal property!) but thoroughly enjoyed myself.

As such, I quickly went back to the hotel to change and warm up (it was 5 but the main event began at 10) and found the main street to get to the temple was closed for traffic. As such - it seems as though you need to get to the temple before 6pm to get a seat if people are interested in going in the future.

I'm also aware that some of my last posts have not included as much detail as normal - so I'll try and add a bit more (writing) in the next couple of days.

Once again - thanks for all of the advice and suggestions.

Now just to plan for spring (Xi'an) and summer vacation....

Re: Shikoku trip update & quick thanks 2016/2/22 22:39
I'm glad you were able to go to the Naked Festival in Okayama! It's a real shame the weather was so terrible. It cancelled my own plans to go to a festival in my area.

I can't wait to read the report when the time comes as well as those leading up to it.

Also a shame there was rain on your Aki day. It's a great place for biking (or walking) but glad you still enjoyed it!

It's always fun to read other people's opinions about places I love and see some new places, as well!

reply to this thread