Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary advice +/- 3 weeks in August 2016/2/3 00:30
Hi
I am planning a trip to Japan, next August. This will be my 4th trip to Japan, so I am trying something original and slightly off the beaten path. I am planning to take a 21-day JR pass, I think it is worth it as I would like to move a lot and visit many places. Any comments/ideas for improvements for this itinerary?
D1 – Trip to Japan
D2 – Arrival in Tokyo
D3 – visit Kamakura
D4 – Go to Sendai, visit Matsushima
D5 – Visit Yamadera from Sendai
D6 – Visit Hiraizumi (maybe rent a bike), go to Morioka for the night
D7 – Go to Tawazako, rent a bike (for going around the lake), then stop at Kakunodate on the way to Akita. Akita Festival at night
D8 – Go to Aomori, following the coast, maybe stop somewhere for a side-visit? (ideas anyone ?) Nebuta Festival at night
D9 – Go to Osorezan, maybe sleep there? Anyone tried already? If not sleeping there, sleep in Aomori or Hakodate
D10 – Go to Hakodate (Shinkansen Hokkaido will work \0/ !!!), visit, go to Mount Hakodate at sunset
D11 – Go to Sapporo via Shiraoi (Ainu museum)
D12 – Visit Sapporo
D13 – Visit around Sapporo (Otaru? Yoichi? Lake Shikotsu? Shakotan? Dunno yet)
D14 – Take domestic flight to Osaka, transfer to Takamatsu, maybe stopover in Himeji (depends on what time I arrive there)
D15 – Visit Takamatsu (the famous Garden thing)
D16 – Go to Imabari, rent a bike and start Shimanami Kaido. Any ideas of hotels/minshukus/ryokans for stopping about mid-way ?
D17 – Finish Shimanami Kaido, go to Onomichi
D18 – Go to Matsue, stop for visiting Adachi Museum of Art
D19 – Visit Matsue and Izumo Taisha
D20 – Go to Osaka, maybe stop somewhere along the way for a side visit
D21 – Go to Koyasan, maybe stay overnight (but I read this was overpriced, so I dunno)
D22 – Go to Ise, visit
D23 – Go to Osaka or Tokyo (depending on my outbound flight)
D24 – Go home -_-e

I am hesitating on the last days. Maybe instead of going to Koyasan and Ise I could stay in Osaka or Kyoto...

Thank you in advance for you inputs.
by AK (guest)  

Re: Itinerary advice +/- 3 weeks in August 2016/2/3 11:46
Sounds like a really busy itinerary, but fun too! If you can keep up with that pace then you'll have a great time, but be careful to plan some down time if you're the type of traveler who might burn yourself out with too much...

D8 – Go to Aomori, following the coast, maybe stop somewhere for a side-visit? (ideas anyone ?)

How about taking the famous sightseeing train Resort Shirakami from Akita to Aomori? You could stop midway at Shirakami Sanchi, a UNESCO world heritage site. Even if you didn't stop, the train in and of itself is really great!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary advice +/- 3 weeks in August 2016/2/3 12:27
Great trip. You do realise you are staying one many places for only a day and night. May get you worn out quickly.

Visit around Sapporo (Otaru? Yoichi? Lake Shikotsu? Shakotan? Dunno yet)
Considering the speed you are traveling at... If you have a rental car you can see all those in a day. If not I would choose any two (day and afternoon) and if you have extra time, make it three (and night).
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary advice +/- 3 weeks in August 2016/2/3 18:06
Unfortunately, I cannot drive.... I was thinking on maybe take a bus, or maybe a tour with a local travel agency....

I know the pace is fast, So Maybe i'll discard some steps. For example, I am hesitating on keeping Matsue/Izumo.

Thank you for the 'resort shirakami' advice, it looks nice !
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary advice +/- 3 weeks in August 2016/2/3 19:28
Izumo and Matsue are very nice places. A taste of old Japan. Kind of like Kyoto but much more cosy.
The museum and garden are also a wonder.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread