Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Directions around kyoto 2016/2/5 16:45
Hi ,

Is there anyone able to help me with the below esquires. I'm so confused with the route and unable to find the way.

I read in post stated during cherry blossom period try to avoiding taking bus. Is that right ?

1) Which station is Kinkakuji located at, Kitano-Hakubaicho or Kitaoji?

2) There are total 4 station for Arashiyama. Which should i get down and is nearer to the attraction (Bamboo groove and Togetsukyo bridge).
After Arashiyama we are proceeding to Nishiki Market if have time , if not will be going straight to Kawaramachi for dinner.

Hope you're able to help me.

Thank uuu
by Jean (guest)  

Re: Directions around kyoto 2016/2/5 17:15
I read in post stated during cherry blossom period try to avoiding taking bus. Is that right ?

The buses get really crowded during the busy season and get bogged down in traffic, so it is good to limit travel on them when possible.

1) Which station is Kinkakuji located at, Kitano-Hakubaicho or Kitaoji?

Depends on where you're travelling from as those two stations connect out to very different places. You should look at a map of Kyoto to get an idea of the rail situation. It can be quite confusing. Basically there may only be one train route between spots so you aren't left with much choice in how to travel if you must go by rail.

2) There are total 4 station for Arashiyama. Which should i get down and is nearer to the attraction (Bamboo groove and Togetsukyo bridge).

Randen Arashiyama is in the center of town, but again, where you are coming from is more vital than the sightseeing spot that you are trying to visit. Check a map, as all 4 stations connect out to very different places.

After Arashiyama we are proceeding to Nishiki Market if have time , if not will be going straight to Kawaramachi for dinner.

In this case, take the Randen line to Shijo-Omiya Station and change to Hankyu to Kawaramachi Station. That serves Nishi Market too.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Directions around kyoto 2016/2/5 17:29
Buses may get crowded and stuck in traffic, but they're often the best way to access many of the tourist sites since the rail network isn't very dense.

I would recommend planning your days such that you can take one bus/train to one site, and then walk to/from others; i.e., stay in one neighbourhood/area each day. There are many half- and full-day walking tours available online (including a couple on this website) that would limit your reliance on public transport. It's all about planning.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Directions around kyoto 2016/2/5 18:11
I agree with yellow smurf. You should see where you are coming from not which station is nearest the attraction. The most is an extra 5-10 minutes of walking. Far better than purposely switching trains. Also note that besides trains and buses, rental bicycles are available. Kyoto is not a large city and the attractions can be easily accessible by bicycle.

I also agree with walking. The philosopher's walk connects Silver Pavillion and Nanzenji with a number of good spots in between. Though I must admit the walk from Golden Pavillion to Ninnanji via Ryoanji may be a tad bit tiring and confusing for the aged.
by Jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Directions around kyoto 2016/2/6 20:22
Although taxis are usually labelled 'expensive' in Japan, I've not found them to be any more expensive than in the UK, so if you are stuck, flag one down. If you are ever lost, ask a taxi driver to take you to the nearest railway station. If this is a planned journey, write your destination on a piece of paper or show the driver the picture from the guide book.

Guide books are heavy, so use a kindle app or rip out the pages you need and just take them with you.

Kyoto's public transport is more complicated than Tokyo. Get a good map, either an official free one or one from the guide books (29 Walks/Lonely Planet) and plan your trips in advance.

On the day, Google Maps on a device using pocket WiFi will give you your exact location and an indication of which direction to go.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Directions around kyoto 2016/2/7 02:20
Which point will you travel from?

Usually the names of an east-west road and a north-south road are combined to locate a specific district in in Kyoto City.
e.g.
"Shijo-Kawaramachi" refers to the district around the crossing of the east-west Shijo Dori and the north-south Kawaramachi Dori.

Which station is Kinkakuji located at, Kitano-Hakubaicho or Kitaoji?

Kinkakuji is located off the railroad.
It is about 1.8 kilometer to walk from Kitano-Hakubaicho Station to the Golden Pavilion in the temple, mainly going up the slopes of Nishioji Dori and Kagamiishi Dori roughly to the north.
https://www.google.co.jp/maps/dir/35.0272849,135.7311621/35.0350741,13...

If you start from subway Shijo Station in Shijo-Kawaramachi, you have to change trains at least twice to get to Kitano-Hakubaicho Station.

There are total 4 station for Arashiyama.
Which should i get down and is nearer to the attraction (Bamboo grove and Togetsukyo bridge).

There are at least 6 stations, with the two stations of Sagano Scenic Railway counted.
You can see approximate locations of these stations, the bamboo grove(s) and Togetsukyo Bridge on the map in this japan-guide.com article.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3912.html

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread