Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Receptionist at a Japanese wedding 2016/2/5 17:30
I was asked to be one of two receptionists for a Japanese wedding. What are the customs I should observe as I greet the guests? What are the proper greetings to welcome them? What do I say when I receive their Goshugi bukuro? Please help!
by asela (guest)  

Re: Receptionist at a Japanese wedding 2016/2/5 19:36
Have you asked the couple themselves? They might want something particular.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Receptionist at a Japanese wedding 2016/2/5 22:35
Generally speaking, just bowing deeply and saying "kyoo wa arigatoo gozaimasu" would be enough. You could copy the way the other receptionist does, and ask him/her what you are supposed to do, if you need to.
by mushi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Receptionist at a Japanese wedding 2016/2/5 23:32
You can ask the venue staff, who are the professionals, as well as your receptionist partner.

But basically, the guests are supposed to approach you with greetings like "omedetougozaimasu" or "omaneki itadaki arigatougozaimasu" and hand out the gift money envelope, so you say "arigatougozaimasu" as you receive it with both hands and bow. The staff will tell you in advance where to put the money and other simple things you might be expected to do.

By the way, the bride and bridegroom usually knows little about these things, and they will be busy on the day of the wedding, so the venue staff will be your best bet.

Receptionists are usually assigned to the newlyweds' best friends, so it's kind of an honor just like being a best man or bridesmaid. It's also an opportunity to chat and become friends with the other receptionist, who is usually still single ;) I think you can also expect a little gift money from the newlywed for doing this job.

In other words, receptionists are usually as young and inexperienced as the newlyweds, so don't worry about it. Here are websites that give you advise on what receptionists are expected to do.
https://www.google.co.jp/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=&hl=ja&ie=UT...
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Receptionist at a Japanese wedding 2016/2/12 17:08
Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate them. The wedding will be this weekend so this is very timely!

Best,
Asela
by asela (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread