Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

1 week trip suggestions 2016/2/8 23:21
Hello,
I am planning my trip to Japan and I will have only 9 days (7 full days). I decided to skip Tokyo and thought to visit Kyoto area, I will arrive 1st day at afternoon at Osaka and leaving from Fukuoka the last day. In my itinerary I think I will not skip Kyoto and Nara and Miyajima...then I don't know what else to see.

I planned to go from airport to Kyoto and staying 2 full days to visit it. 3rd day a side trip to Nara and then moving somewhere, maybe Osaka. 4-5-6 days I would like to visit Kurashiki area (Okayama, Onomichi) and last day going to Miyajima.

Should I sleep in Miyajima or doen'd Worth so much? Which place is better to sleep to visit Kurashiki/Okayama/Onomichi area?

Any tip about itinerary? Thank you!!
by Fra (guest)  

Re: 1 week trip suggestions 2016/2/11 00:58
Hi,

1)If you like to see a historic site, I do recommend Himeji castle, the most beautiful castle in Japan.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3501.html

It will takes 3~4 hours to see.

2)It would not be worth to stay Miyajima at night time, It would be better to stay Hiroshima than Miyajima. Hiroshima is the biggest city in Chugoku area. Try Hiroshima style okonomi-yaki !
...And visit Peace Memorial Park and Atomic Bomb Dome, please.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2160.html
by Susumu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1 week trip suggestions 2016/2/11 01:30
My suggestions but some what fast pace

Day 1 Osaka - Arrive Osaka
Day 2 Osaka - Osaka Free Day, I recommend Namba, Umeda Skybuilding
Day 3 Osaka - Kyoto Day
Day 4 Osaka - Kobe Morning for some Kobe Beef and then Nara Afternoon
Day 5 Hiroshima - Train early to Himeji, drop of bags at station. Himeji Castle Day. Train to Hiroshima.
Day 6 Hiroshima - Miyajima Morning, Hiroshima Afternoon
Day 7 Fukuoka - Train to Fukuoka, Free day. Recommend the night street stalls
Day 8 Fukuoka - Shopping
Day 9 Depart Fukuoka

I do not believe a 7 days Japan Rail Pass would be worth it unless you travel more long distance trains.

Hope this helps!!
Have Fun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: 1 week trip suggestions 2016/2/11 03:24
I think @Koohii2wii is pretty close to what I would do. My variation is as follows

Day 1 Arrive Osaka - Train to Kyoto
Day 2 Kyoto
Day 3 Kyoto
Day 4 Kyoto day trip to Nara
Day 5 Train Kyoto to Himeji, Leave bags at station. Himeji Castle. Train to Okayama
Day 6 Okayama - Kurashiki - Onomichi - Okayama
Day 7 Train to Hiroshima - Miyajima, Hiroshima
Day 8 Fukuoka
Day 9 Depart Fukuoka

In answer to your question I have always found Okayama a lovely place to stay & nicer than the other options you mention. I have allowed two full days in Kyoto but you could easily stay in Hiroshima for another day instead.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: 1 week trip suggestions 2016/2/11 08:17
Should I sleep in Miyajima or doen'd Worth so much?

Miyajima is one of those special places that really transform into something better once the tourist crowds are gone, so its highly recommended to stay there overnight at a ryokan if possible to get the full Japan experience. However, it is not particularly efficient for travel and relatively expensive, especially compared to staying in Hiroshima for the night, so consider your itinerary and pace, and whether or not you are interested to try staying at a ryokan during your trip.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: 1 week trip suggestions 2016/2/12 00:05
Thanky you all about your suggestions, in my itinerary I was thinking:

1 Osaka - Kyoto
2 Kyoto
3 Kyoto and Nara day trip
4 Kyoto - moving to Kinosaki in afternoon
5 Kinosaki - Kyoto/Osaka or Himeji/Okayama
6 Himeji - Okayama
7 Okayama - Kurashiki area
8 day trip to Hiroshima
9 Fukuoka or Osaka (changing my itineray)

I changed a bit my mind, first of all I don't know if leaving by ferry from Fukuoka or plane from Osaka.
Then I am having problems to find a cheap accomodation on 3rd day in Kyoto (cherry blossom season), only super expensive hotels. I found a good offer for a ryokan in Kinosaki and this city seems so typical about onsen experience, do you recommend me? Then the next day I should come back but I realized a lack of transportation to go back. So I am still planning.
About Miyajima I am not so convinced, I mean it's a highlight in Japan but to mee seems a kind of "tourist trap", maybe I am wrong.
When I'll be in Kurashiki area I would like to visit Himeji castle, if I have time Okayama gardens, Kurashiki old town, Kibi plan by bike, Tomonoura village and maybe Onomichi temples walk. I am looking for something nice but not super touristic. If I don't go to Kinosaki, where can I go to experience onsen? Any city has one? Thank you
by Fra (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1 week trip suggestions 2016/2/12 04:45
While Kurashiki is lovely and for me the Ohara museum of art is a must visit, the area is really quite small and is easily doable in half a day. You could combine it with something else such as the Kibi Plain bike ride. Miyajima is touristy but is not a tourist trap by any means. It's such an iconic place I think you should go (I have visited four times now ). I was thinking of going to Tomoura last autumn but it isnt easy to access as the trains dont go anywhere really near to it.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: 1 week trip suggestions 2016/2/12 09:12
Then I am having problems to find a cheap accomodation on 3rd day in Kyoto (cherry blossom season), only super expensive hotels.

Yes, all the affordable places have been booked out for months. Try looking in nearby cities such as Osaka or Otsu.

I found a good offer for a ryokan in Kinosaki and this city seems so typical about onsen experience, do you recommend me?

Yes, Kinosaki is a wonderful place for a ryokan experience. Which ryokan? If possible, staying along the canal is best.

Then the next day I should come back but I realized a lack of transportation to go back.

There are hourly limited express trains to Kyoto/Osaka, so for example you could be back to Osaka as early as 10:00.

About Miyajima I am not so convinced, I mean it's a highlight in Japan but to mee seems a kind of "tourist trap", maybe I am wrong.

Tourist trap implies to me that the site is built up to impress but does not meet expectations. But I think Miyajima is quite the opposite. Instead, the island is the sort of place that seasoned Japan travelers return to again and again as it exceeds expectations especially as you explore the area more and get experience at different times.

If I don't go to Kinosaki, where can I go to experience onsen? Any city has one?

Not all places have onsen, and some of the highly rated ones in Chugoku/Kansai are also kinda touristy. For example, I would consider Kinosaki touristy, but in a good way. What are you looking for in an onsen? Rustic, modern, traditional, quiet, etc?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread