Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Late blooming sakura on Honshu / April 2016/2/10 11:39
Hi all,

I'm visiting Japan from 15 April onwards for slightly over 2 weeks, with one week to be spent in Hokkaido. I'm hoping to catch some early sakura in Hokkaido but I'm fairly certain that i will be too early to catch any.

I know in Tokyo, we are likely to arrive too late to see the sakura bloom (perhaps i will try Shinjuku Gyoen which had some nice late blooms one year), so i was wondering if anyone had any good ideas where i could take a day trip out to see full blooming sakura. We thought we would collect a few options so that when we get there we can check the reports and make a decision on the day trip.

Based on our research so far, we're looking at Fuji Five Lakes (any particular locale anyone has to recommend?), Nagano (Matsumoto Castle), Kanazawa (Kenrokuen), Fukushima (Hanamiyama). Any thoughts / comments / suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance!
by ssk (guest)  

Re: Late blooming sakura on Honshu / April 2016/2/10 12:18
Lots of places to visit in the second half of April. Plus, one of the nicest varieties (weeping cherry) blooms a couple of weeks after somei yoshino. I started compiling a list of varieties/places at https://japancustomtours.co.nz/sakuraforecast.htm#LateBlossom
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Late blooming sakura on Honshu / April 2016/2/10 14:51
Hi. There are some places in Tohoku region with flowers blooming in late April. You could consider spending a few days travelling northwards to follow the full bloom there since you're going Hokkaido.
by Fque (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Late blooming sakura on Honshu / April 2016/2/10 14:53
If your worried about being too late for Sakura - then follow my two general rules

(1) Go North (in your case Tohoku - but lower Tohoku)

(2) Go to the mountains (for example - Obuse near Nagano is normally 1 to 2 weeks later than Nagano city)

Looking at previous years Cherry Blossom reports will give you a basic idea of places you may wish to visit
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread