Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Head patting in Japanese culture 2016/2/16 02:04
Can any Japanese natives here enlighten me on this?

When a Japanese guy pats/ruffles your head (it feels a bit like a massage on the scalp and neck area sometimes), what does it mean?

A Japanese boy that I like did this twice to me recently. Once was a soft pat on the head and he told me he will send me home. The other time was when my key chain broke and I made a sad face so he started ruffling my head.

I'm asian as well, but I've never really experience this in my culture. Usually it's only done to a child in my culture but Japanese manga/anime/drama tend to show the guys doing this to the girls. Is this usual in real life as well? He's 2 years younger than me if that matters.

I know this is not a forum to be asking about relationship stuff, but it's pretty much the best site out there in terms of English speaking people with Japanese culture knowledge.
by mei (guest)  

Re: Head patting in Japanese culture 2016/2/17 07:46
I know the patting one's head is a very bad manner in some Asian countries, but it is not a common knowledge in Japan. Among boys and girls, patting/ruffling one's head is a usual action, means the one feels the others like a family. Certainly, he likes you.
by Miya (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Head patting in Japanese culture 2016/2/20 19:40
Sounds like bullying. How old is he ? An adult never does that.
by GattoNegro rate this post as useful

Re: Head patting in Japanese culture 2016/2/21 11:54
Hmm it does sound like he likes you rather than bullying (unless you feel some negativity over how he does it). I don't know its a japanese custom per se. Im chinese american and I do it to my girlfriends. I never realized I did it until someone pointed it out one day. Apparently I do it all the time. My friends think its wierd, my girlfriends dont like it cause it messes up their hair. I realized that's just my way of showing affection, as strange as it comes off across to other people.
by ahdat rate this post as useful

Re: Head patting in Japanese culture 2016/2/23 08:56
How old are you? Any touching in Japan is very rare among adults, bordering on creepy and/or extremely rude, but teenagers often do it to show their affection, especially friends who are the same gender. If you're both adults I think it's creepy for him to touch your head and you should probably avoid him, but if you're teenagers it's likely to be a sign that he likes you and/or considers you to be a close friend.
by Jenn Jett (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread