Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

12 days intinery in Hokaiddo 2016/3/3 15:38
I will visit Hokkaido on early April for 12 days. I plan to buy 4 days flexible hokkaido JR Pass and itinerary as below.

Day 1 - from New Chitose airport - Toya lake by JR Pass
Day 2 - local train or bus at Toya Lake
Day 3 - to Noboritbutze and back Toya lake- take train
Day 4 - Toya lake to Hokkodate by JR Pass
Day 5 - local train or bus at Hokkodate
Day 6 - Hokkodate to Otaru by JR pass
Day 7 - local train or bus at Otaru
Day 8 - Self drive to Niseko
Day 9 - Otaru to Sapporo by Welcome pass
Day 10 - local train or bus at Sapporo
Day 11 - local train or bus at Sapporo
Day 12 - Sapporo to New Chitose airport by train

The above itinerary and JR pass usage, is it ok? or what is your best suggestion for 12 days trips at Hokkaido?
by AK (guest)  

Re: 12 days intinery in Hokaiddo 2016/3/3 19:26
you are not travelling extensively enough for the pass to make sense. There is no need to spend 3 nights in Lake Toya. two days are sufficient to see it and the surrounding area.

The best way to get around Hokkaido is by car or highway coach. since you can drive, do so all the way. It will save you a lot of time and trouble. the trains are slow and not all have air conditioning.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12 days intinery in Hokaiddo 2016/3/4 13:03
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

We decided to take train due to i heard that early April in Hokkaido snow started to melt, it is dangerous for self drive and we do not have driving experience in snowing seasons.
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12 days intinery in Hokaiddo 2016/3/4 13:40
it is not very dangerous to drive in snow if you practice safe driving behavior... :)

I come from malaysia, and no experience in driving in winter ...but I drove during last feb... it is winter, but not much problem, if you follow all road sign and not speeding....

most of the road already clean by local people...and as long as you drive slow and maintain a certain distant between 2 cars...it is safe.

driving in hokkaido is better than take JR....it is very convenient and freedom.

by kevin tan rate this post as useful

Re: 12 days intinery in Hokaiddo 2016/3/4 13:52
Hi Kelvin

Thanks for your reply. Your reply really made me feel excited if self drive there.

Can u recommend any car rental company in your last trip? is it have to book online earlier before our trip? shall we have to apply international lessen driving there? I'm Malaysian too.

Do u have any more ideas on my itinerary so that i can make used for 12 days?

Really appreciate!!
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12 days intinery in Hokaiddo 2016/3/6 01:53
Not sure if you're into scenery viewing but the east side has the blue pond and natural park. If you're driving, you can pretty much access to these places. I'm heading in mid to end April and by JR train so those places are inconvenient for my mom who doesn't like to walk too much compared to me who wouldn't mind walking 40km-60km in a day.
by lynnkaylen rate this post as useful

reply to this thread