Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

spouse visa (unemployed spouse) 2016/3/7 07:01
I am married to a Japanese man and we wish to apply for a spouse visa so I can move to Japan with him. He is currently in Japan but does not have work, I am in the UK and currently have no work but have a BSc degree. I am a bit worried about the guarantor issue since he is out of work. I have plenty of savings and a degree so I wonder if this will be enough. We have been together for 5 years and it is really unfortunate this had to happen.

Living relatives are his mother (retired) living in Japan and my mother (retired) living in the UK. Is there anything we can do about the guarantor situation? Would my spouse still be able to act as the guarantor even though he is on unemployment pension?
by annanokeiji  

Re: spouse visa (unemployed spouse) 2016/3/7 19:08
This is what we did when we needed to apply for Spouse visa for my non-Japanese spouse, though he was on a work visa in Japan already and was made redundant. So the situation was that the non-Japanese spouse was unemployed, and I (the Japanese spouse) was working as a temporary staff so my income then was not really considered enough to support the two of us.

Still I signed the guarantor letter (at that time they called it simply a guarantor letter; of course it said I had to be responsible for the return ticket, etc. should the need arise), we submitted a letter along with the application saying that he was looking for work (giving a bit of his experience/background as well) and that we expected that he would find some work soon (unfounded though). We did not present any bank statement or any such proof of savings.

If you have been married already for some time and his marriage to you has been reported to the Japanese authorities, I see no harm in mentioning that you "expect" to find some work in Japan for example as an English language teacher once you can be together with him in Japan. (The reason why I say "if you have been married already..." is because mentioning work prospects for the non-Japanese spouse immediately after getting married "can" sound like your main aim is to work in Japan, if you know what I mean.)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: spouse visa (unemployed spouse) 2016/3/8 06:55
Thank you for your reply, your situation being successful makes me feel more hopeful about our situation.
I talked with the Japanese embassy in London today and they recommended that my spouse apply for the certificate of eligibility in Japan so I could present it to the embassy here and get the spouse visa.
The alternatives would be to enter Japan as a tourist and do change of status or to apply from the embassy without the certificate of eligibility (usually doing if Japanese spouse is in the UK)
So I guess it is down to us to decide which route to go for.
by annanokeiji rate this post as useful

spouse visa (unemployed spouse) 2016/3/8 14:28
Just in case, I have listed necessary documents to apply for spouse visa in Japan.

http://japanhousesaitama.lawyerjapanese.com/saitama/how-to-get-spouse-...
by Scrivener Aki rate this post as useful

reply to this thread