Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto One Day Travel Plan 2016/3/28 16:05
I am spending 4 nights in Kyoto but out of those I will be spending 1 day going to Hiroshima, 1 day to Nara, 1 Day to Himeji so in short I am left with one day in Kyoto of which I want to make the most.

With that said can I do the following to see the best of Kyoto in one day ?
I have checked and all of them lie in the two half day itineraries listed so commute wise its fine.

Kinkaku-ji temple - Golden Pavilion
Ryoan-ji temple
Ninnaji  - If Time Permits
Ginkaku-ji (Silver Pavilion)
Philosophers Path
Nazenji Temple
Heian Shrine
Kiyomizu-dera temple

I am still going to be missing out of a few really good things like Ashriyama and Fushima Inari - which I plan to do as quick trips on the other days I go to Nara and Himeji as I dont plan to be in Nara and Himeji full days.

This is our first time in Kyoto so want to see all even if we dont spend hours in one place. Please recommend.

Thanks a lot.
by vblank  

Re: Kyoto One Day Travel Plan 2016/3/28 17:50
Too many places in one day. With your list, you'll probably spend less than 1 hour per temple and you haven't even covered lunch/dinner or travel time in between temples. Kyoto is best enjoyed when you savor your time in each temple. I remember sitting down and really appreciating the beauty of the rock garden in Ryoan-ji.
by ami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto One Day Travel Plan 2016/3/28 23:54
Thanks yes that makes sense, as noted I might skip Ninaji, I plan to eat lunch at Ryonji - I guess there is a Tofu place there.

Also I plan to be the first person at the first place to allow me to complete this plan. I do want to spend more time at one of these places but don't want to miss anything out.

Lets say I fall in love with some place I plan to come back other half days I am there.

From your experience is this doable or anything I can skip in order to make others work ?
by vblank rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto One Day Travel Plan 2016/3/29 00:42
Hi,
I lived in Kyoto for four years.
Many tourists tend to run around to cover as many famous spots as he/she can, but as far as Kyoto is concerned it is a wrong approach where you should feel the atmosphere of this historical town i.e. you being embraced by the history/tradition or real nature, while other modern cities give you just relationship of tourist vs spots. I suggest you take walk to Nanzenji or Chion-in temple or Kamogawa river before breakfast without time pressure. It will be more valuable than seeing say 10 spots in a day.
Cheers,
by GattoNegro rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto One Day Travel Plan 2016/3/29 15:15
On my previous trips to Kyoto, I only visit 3 temples a day. If the temples happen to be close to one another then I sometimes squeeze in a 4th temple. Your list looks like 1.5 days worth of sightseeing, and at a bit of a hurried pace at that.

Of the list you provided, only Kiyomizudera and Heian open at 6:00am. The rest open between 8:00-9:00am (I'm basing these times on this site). Philosopher's Path doesn't have a opening/closing time since it's public domain. Then most of the temples close at 5:00-6:00pm.

I'd probably do Kiyumizudera, Nanzenji, -early lunch- Heian, Ginkakuji then Philosopher's Path on Day 1 (all in the eastern part of the city) then Ryoanji, Kinkakuji and possibly Ninnaji on Day 2 (all north).

Also, if you aren't going during cherry blossom season then skip Philosopher's Path.
by ami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto One Day Travel Plan 2016/3/29 16:09
I would do the Kyoto sightseeing locations before Nara and Himeji. Himeji has never wowed me in any aspect.

If you do wanna squeeze in a lot, then doing West Kyoto/Arashiyama + Ryoanji + Kinkajuku etc one day and Fishimi Inari + East Kyoto/Kiyomizudera/Philosopher's Path etc another day.

Fishimi Inari is good to start early at 7am before all the toursit arrive. You'll be done my 10am and ready to more onto somthing else.

To do Arashiyama properly so you miss nothing is a 3/4 day event.
by Ryan T (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto One Day Travel Plan 2016/3/29 16:25
I would spend the morning seeing these:
Kinkaku-ji temple - Golden Pavilion
Ryoan-ji temple
Ninnaji - If Time Permits

Ryoanji opens before Kinkakuji. I prefer Myoshinji to Ninnanji, but Myoshinji is for slow walks not a rush.

Ryoan-ji is for meditation and a moment of peace. Though, if you were to go in summer or spring... and especially autumn... it is just another place. Too many school kids and noisy tourists.

Ryoanji's Tofu place is not a full meal. The Tofu place at Arashiyama is for real food thought this would take an hour. If you do plan to rush, grab an onigiri from the nearest convenience store.

The afternoon, I would spend seeing these:
Arashiyama
Fushimi Inari

Ending with a dinner at Kyoto station

Ginkaku-ji (Silver Pavilion)
Philosophers Path
Nazenji Temple
Heian Shrine
Kiyomizu-dera temple
These... no idea...
The walk from Nanzenji to Ginkakuji adding in all the temples can be a good 4 hours even when rushing. If you only plan to pop in Eikando and Honen-in. it would still take 2 hours if you run.

Don't see the point or visiting Kiyomizu. Can just see it from outside. One of the fun parts of going to (read as: climbing the long steep slope to) Kiyomizu is the (traditional) area about it. If already going to either Arashiyama or Gion in the evening, just consider it done. You don't have that much time anyways.

As for Heian, you can see it on the way to Nanzenji.

Do indicate when you are going to Japan. A lack of information does not help us help you.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread