Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Current travel activity in Japan? 2016/4/1 04:17
A bit hard question maybe but the previous years I visited Japan was rather high domestic travel as well as tourists from neighbour countries to Japan.

How has the amout of tourists been this year so far? Is it expected to be as high as that this year and beyond?

I found it rather problematic traveling with such many people, compared to some years before. Hotels were fully booked in many places, rush, trains full, etc...

Is it something we should get used to rather than hoping for it to be less?
by Sneeze (guest)  

Re: Current travel activity in Japan? 2016/4/1 09:26
I'd say you should get used to it.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Current travel activity in Japan? 2016/4/1 09:51
How has the amout of tourists been this year so far?

Highest ever in the history of mankind.

Is it expected to be as high as that this year and beyond?

Yes, especially if the yen remains relatively cheap.

I found it rather problematic traveling with such many people, compared to some years before. Hotels were fully booked in many places, rush, trains full, etc...

Indeed, it is becoming quite difficult in the popular destinations. I recommend to explore places off the beaten path. They are much less crowded.

Is it something we should get used to rather than hoping for it to be less?

You should get used to it. If you want to see Japan, you have to accept that others want, as well. Anything else would be hypocritical.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Current travel activity in Japan? 2016/4/1 15:12
Hi Uji,

Please elaborate this "Highest ever in the history of mankind."
Is it really that much?
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Current travel activity in Japan? 2016/4/1 15:15
The current Tourist numbers in Japan are in record numbers.

Visitor numbers are the highest since the dawn of time.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Current travel activity in Japan? 2016/4/1 17:58
Seriously? Go elsewhere if you don't want to see any people.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Current travel activity in Japan? 2016/4/3 07:28
Last year tourist numbers were up 48% and the first two months of the year are up on last year - japantimes reference.

Overall rider/train trips on the shinkansen is not as high as the peak (wiki reference I looked at a while ago).

The Japanese Government announced a target to double tourist numbers by 2020. They were aiming for 20million, changed it to 30 and this week announced they were going for 40 million. The tourism infrastructure will struggle (hotels, popular attractions).

After a week travelling in remote/uncrowded locations in March with my guests, arriving back in Kyoto with a large number of semi-lost/confused tourists was unpleasant. Tokyo is bigger so not as pronounced.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Current travel activity in Japan? 2016/4/4 11:35
Japan is reall
by ami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Current travel activity in Japan? 2016/4/4 11:42
Traveling to Japan is really popular this year. Just in my office and excluding myself, I know of 4 other people who went there from Feb-March.

I think you need to pick months where tourist numbers are less. Avoid the cherry blossom and autumn seasons. My trip to Japan last February was enjoyable as there were less people since it was still late winter/early spring yet I got to enjoy beautiful sights such as plum blossoms and there were some temples in Kyoto which were relatively empty.
by ami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Current travel activity in Japan? 2016/4/4 11:54
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've decided to go to Kyushu this year. I understand that there is always quite a few tourists there from Singapore. Is it anywhere near as busy as the main areas in Honshu?
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread