Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan 2 weeks itinerary 2016/4/7 23:57
I will travel to Japan in June 2016.

Draft itinerary:

June 3 - Tokyo (day of arrival)
June 4 - Tokyo
June 5 - Tokyo
June 6 - Nikko
June 7 - Tokyo
June 8 - Takayama
June 9 - Shirakawago/Kanazawa
June 10 - Takayama
June 11 - Kyoto
June 12 - Kyoto
June 13 - Nara
June 14 - Himeji & Kobe
June 15 - Kyoto
June 16 - Osaka
June 17 - Osaka (day of departure)

Q1: Good (as possible) itinerary to get a nice view of all elements Japan has to offer? Recommendations/adjustments are welcome!

Q2: Japan Rail Pass (1 week?) yes or no?

Thanks in advance!

Stijn

by Stijn (guest)  

Re: Japan 2 weeks itinerary 2016/4/8 10:47
Do you arrive in Tokyo, and leave from Osaka? If so, I think you might bypass the 7-day JR pass, and use the Nohi private bus line to get from Tokyo to Takayama, visit Shirakawa-go, and then go to Kyoto. Here is a link:

http://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/

I hope this helps. Good luck with your planning.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 2 weeks itinerary 2016/4/8 15:55
Thanks!

I understand the route by this bus will take approx. 5.5 hours and will cost approx. 6,000 yen.

I understand the route by train (via Nagoya) will take approx 4.5 hours and will cost approx. 14,000 yen.

Is the above a correct understanding of the available options? Any recommendations?

Furthermore, I am a little bit confused about daytrip travel tickets from Tokyo (preferably Shinjuku) to Nikko for 1 day. Looks like there are various options. Do not know how to choose the best available option. Shinkansen ticket, East pass, etc, etc. Please help?
by Stijn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 2 weeks itinerary 2016/4/8 16:22
Get the Tobu nikko passes. Or one of the Nikko free passes that includes the buses in Nikko.
Pick the one that goes with your likes. E.g. if you want to see water, than the one that brings you to Chuzenji lake... for onsen that the one that brings you to one there....
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 2 weeks itinerary 2016/4/8 16:59
You are doing a lot of distance with your traveling. And I count you using a shinkansen 2-4 times depending on your plans.

I would use www.hyperdia.com/en and calculate your travel costs.

If you close to 29,000 yen. Then a 7D JR pass is warranted. I think you will as Tokyo to Takayama is 13,XXX and Takayama to Shin-Osaka is 11,XXX.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 2 weeks itinerary 2016/4/8 17:26
I understand the route by this bus will take approx. 5.5 hours and will cost approx. 6,000 yen.

I understand the route by train (via Nagoya) will take approx 4.5 hours and will cost approx. 14,000 yen.

Is the above a correct understanding of the available options? Any recommendations?

That's about right, yes. For Takayama to Kyoto it's respectively 4 hours 4200 yen, and 3 hours, about 9000 yen.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 2 weeks itinerary 2016/4/8 20:41
Is there something specific you want to see in Osaka? If you were planning to visit Universal or a special restaurant, something unique to that city then dedicating a full day is worth it. Otherwise *personally* I would opt for an extra day in Tokyo (or Kyoto). I only say this because most people I know who have visited Osaka without a plan in mind for things they definitely want to see have come away a bit underwhelmed. I don't think there's a risk of that happening in Tokyo because there's a lot more choice for things to do, or in Kyoto because it's such a special city.

My opinion of course.
by ///// (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 2 weeks itinerary 2016/4/8 21:30
Yes, you have the correct prices for the trip from Tokyo to Takayama. The bus is about an hour longer, but a lot less in cost. Firas also gave you the breakdown for the Takayama to Kyoto leg, and it is about the same, an hour longer, but much lower cost. The other thing is that the bus is direct, and you will not have to switch trains with luggage.

As for Visiting Nikko from Shinjuku, you might consider the 3-day Tokyo Wide area pass. If you are planning a second day trip outside of Tokyo; such as the Fuji five lakes area, the Izu Peninsula, or Atami; you could use the pass on two day to get to and from Nikko, and then use the third day for the day trip. You could also move your schedule around a bit, and activate the pass when you arrive in Tokyo to get to your hotel. The second and third day would then be your trip to Nikko.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_06.html

Once again, good luck in your planning.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 2 weeks itinerary 2016/4/9 01:51
It's hard to tell from your itinerary where the travel time falls. Those train and bus rides can cut into the amount of time you have to see a place.

For example, I made up some travel for you:
June 7 - Tokyo, 4 pm (1600) train to Takayama
June 8 - Takayama, bus to Shirakawago
June 9 - Shirakawago/Kanazawa, bus to Takayama
June 10 - Takayama, 12 pm train to Kyoto

In this example you can see that you have very little time to see Kanazawa.

Personally I hate unpacking and packing so I would spend 2-3 nights in each hotel, see fewer locations but see them more thoroughly. For example, in Kanazawa the World's Second Best Freshly Baked Melon Pan and Ice Cream is within walking distance of Kenrokuen. But I hear they have a shop in Tokyo now, so never mind.
by SkipperL rate this post as useful

reply to this thread