Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hitachi Seaside Park May 20 2016 2016/4/13 18:42
My mother and I are heading to Japan in early May, and will be in Tokyo from the 18th to the 22nd. I'm hoping to visit either Hitachi Seaside Park or the Fuji Shibazakura Festival, however, Hitachi Seaside Park is my preference. That being said, I'm worried that the day we go (Friday the 20th May) that the blue nemophilia field will have stopped blooming, and there won't be many flowers in bloom in the rest of the park.

Does anyone know if they'll still be in bloom by then, or would the Shibazauka Festival be a better idea for flower viewing?
by non-non (guest)  

Re: Hitachi Seaside Park May 20 2016 2016/4/13 22:46
According to a press release by the park on the 12th, the nemophila are blooming a full 2 weeks ahead of a normal year! (http://hitachikaihin.jp/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/160412nemo.pdf) The best time to visit for this year is estimated as only until the end of April, although the festival dates (usually set in advance) are until May 15th. I think due to that, it might be better to go to the shibazakura festival instead.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Hitachi Seaside Park May 20 2016 2016/4/14 00:21

Re: http://hitachikaihin.jp/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/160412nemo.pdf

scarreddragon,

Thank you for the information.
I am planning to visit the park on May 2. After reading the information, I am under the impression that the nemophila will disappear in two weeks time ( few days before our visit).
Is it correct to assume that the park is not worth visiting then?

by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hitachi Seaside Park May 20 2016 2016/4/14 09:46
Hi liem,

To be honest, I'm not sure. I was also planning on going this year sometime in May, but I go to Mito for work now, so I can be flexible. I think May 2nd is close enough to the end of April that you would still be able to see flowers then, but I'm not positive. Maybe closer to the date I can see what the official website says.

I was also hoping for a "blooming camera" or something like that to show what they flowers look like day-to-day, but there doesn't appear to be one now. So I guess for us both we just have to keep checking the official website!

Hope you get to see them!

Re: Hitachi Seaside Park May 20 2016 2016/4/14 10:42

scarreddragon,
Again many thanks for your advice.
Interestingly, my original plan is to stay one night at Mito after the visit. Could you please advise if anything I should not miss in Mito.

Re: Hitachi Seaside Park May 20 2016 2016/4/14 13:49
Of course, Kairakuen is a must-see as one of the top 3 landscape gardens in Japan! I enjoy exploring the area around the park as well, as there is a lake and some nice shrines across the pedestrian bridges.

I also really like the area around Oarai. There is an ocean shrine (Oarai Isosaki Jinja: http://oarai-isosakijinja.or.jp) with a torii gate out on the rocks with pounding waves around it, and near to there is a great onsen (Shiosai: http://www.siosai.jp) with carbonated water that feels really neat! It might be easier to get to both by car, but I think there's a station near enough that you could take a taxi.

Ibaraki is famous for ankou, a type of flat fish that is usually served in nabe. Natto is also famous.

Re: Hitachi Seaside Park May 20 2016 2016/4/15 11:21

scarreddragon,
Looks like a few interesting places to visit around Mito.
Thanks again for all the information.
I shall keep checking the official website. Hopefully the visit will still pay off. If push comes to shove, I have plan B now.

Re: Hitachi Seaside Park May 20 2016 2016/5/2 21:03
Visited the park today, still miilions of flowers, still very impressive, but way past their best time.

Re: Hitachi Seaside Park May 20 2016 2016/5/2 22:27
My plan is for next Sun and I really hope the baby blue eyes would wait!!
by chloebb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hitachi Seaside Park May 20 2016 2016/5/9 02:39
Is it too late for the baby blues now?
by Angela (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hitachi Seaside Park May 20 2016 2016/5/9 02:45
Is it worth the trip for the last weekend of June?
I know it's not 'prime' time but will it still be an impressive sight and fun day?
by Floaty92 rate this post as useful

Re: Hitachi Seaside Park May 20 2016 2016/5/10 00:44
Anyone can give any info whether the nemophilas will still be in bloom for this week?
by Angela (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hitachi Seaside Park May 20 2016 2016/6/2 05:29
I am also planning to go last week of June. Will there be something special to see at that time?
by Stephanie (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread