Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

More than 10 prior trips to Tokyo, what now? 2016/4/22 22:26
Like the title says, I really enjoy visiting Japan and I have been to Tokyo more than 10 times over the past 10 years. I have visited almost all tourist attractions in Tokyo and spent time in all wards. So I have done Odaiba, Tsukiji, Imperial Gardens, Tokyo Tower, Ginza, SkyTree, Edo Tokyo museum, Sumo, many parks,many, many shrines including Yasukuni and of course Meiji. I visited Ghibli, Nikko, Kamakura and Kawagoe. And much, much more. I really like museums, food and shopping. I especially enjoyed the very cute town of Kawagoe and I enjoyed shopping in Amyoko-cho. I visited the railway museum in Saitama and a I really liked that. I am interested in some new day trips from Tokyo - I will be there in October for about a week. I have spent plenty of time in Hakone, Kanazawa, Takyama, and Yokohama as well- all of those places were great. Any new suggestions?
by CD20  

Re: More than 10 prior trips to Tokyo, what now? 2016/4/23 12:36
there is a lot of things you have not mentioned that are in this website.

but personally, if you have been to tokyo 10 times. go to osaka/kyoto/fukuoka/kyushu/yamaguchi/San'In.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: More than 10 prior trips to Tokyo, what now? 2016/4/23 13:36
Why don't you go elsewhere? Tohoku? Hokkaido?

In regards to areas near Tokyo, have you been to Enoshima? Nokogiriyama? Takaosan?
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: More than 10 prior trips to Tokyo, what now? 2016/4/23 14:38
Try Takasaki/Gunma, Ibaraki (Mito and beyond), Yamanashi, the Izu peninsula, Tochigi beyond Nikko, etc. Also, look for seasonal things to do in and around Tokyo. Fall colors or flowers, obviously, but also special shows or events, museums that have temporary exhibits that might interest you, festivals you might enjoy going on when you're there, cultural things you haven't tried yet (visiting different animal or theme cafes, or trying arts and crafts etc). There's a ton to do around Tokyo, even for someone who's been a bunch. That's the beauty of the city... it's always changing!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: More than 10 prior trips to Tokyo, what now? 2016/4/23 15:37
Whatever gave you the idea that the Tokyo area is the only place to go sightseeing? With a low cost carrier like Jet Star, Peach or Vanilla Air you can go to Okinawa or Hokkaido in just a couple of hours for as low as about 5000 yen one way.
Or use ANA's Experience Japan Fare and go to all over the country.
The entire country is sitting at your feet.

But if for whatever reason you don't want to go too far, try looking at Karuizawa, Izu, Kusatsu, the Hitachi Seaside Park, the Boso Peninsula, Sendai, the Fuji 5 Lakes area, Nagano, Matsumoto, and on and on and on....

The real crown jewels of Japan are Kyoto and Nara. Why not see them?
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: More than 10 prior trips to Tokyo, what now? 2016/4/23 18:18
I'm going to assume the OP is there for business and not a typiclal tourist. Therefore, expand to day trips fromTokyo including Kamakura, Yokohama, Nikko, Fukushima or Sendai, Nagano and a few others.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: More than 10 prior trips to Tokyo, what now? 2016/4/23 20:22
Thank you for all the great suggestions. I have spent significant time in nearly all prefectures in Japan from Okinawa to Hokkaido. I have spent weeks at a time in the Kansai region. I have also spent a great deal of time in Shikoku and enjoyed all of the small islands like Shodoshima, etc. In fact, my favorite place in Japan is Shikoku. I have visited most major cities throughout the entire country from Fukuoka to Sapporo. So, I have not limited myself in the past. But this time I need suggestions that are only focused on daytrips surrounding Tokyo, as I will be only in that region because of travel plans. Thanks again, I do appreciate the effort people have put into commenting.
by CD20 rate this post as useful

Re: More than 10 prior trips to Tokyo, what now? 2016/4/23 20:25
PS- Yes I have been to Enoshima and that is exacttly the type of suggestion I am looking for. Enoshima was amazing, when I last visited they were having an Hawaiian culture festival there!!

Re: More than 10 prior trips to Tokyo, what now? 2016/4/23 22:25
I would say Takasaki is a good day trip from Tokyo, as are Sayama Prefectural Natural Park and Lake Okutama ( + the Floating Bridge).
Maybe go into Chiba Prefecture with visits to Chiba, Katori, Chiba Kenritsu Boso no mural (search for t[̂ނ), Narita town itself has a lot to offer, Mount Nokogiri and Nihonjic
Tatebayashi could be nice if itfs Spring
Maybe this is a bit far-fetched, but you might want to visit the Izu Islands south of Tokyo.
What I usually do is open GoogleMaps, zoom in and choose a random city/town and make that my visit. It really works for finding hidden gems.

As for more ideas for what to do in Tokyo that you havenft mentioned:
Tokyo Todoroki Valley
Tokyo Ikegami Baien and Ikegamihonmonji
Sengaku-ji (site of the 47 ronin)
Asukayama Park Area
Rikugien
Yankee and Nezu (with visit to Nezu Jinja Shrine)
by FancyLampshade (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: More than 10 prior trips to Tokyo, what now? 2016/4/23 22:27
I forgot to mention that Nippara Limestone Caves are also close to Lake Okutama and can be done within the same day.
by FancyLampshade (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: More than 10 prior trips to Tokyo, what now? 2016/4/23 23:26
How would you be traveling around? For some places, it's easy enough to go by public transport, but for other more out of the way places, rental car is better.

Here are a few more specific suggestions:

Choushi in Chiba: https://www.city.choshi.chiba.jp/english/guide.html
Cute lighthouse and train, the fish is awesome, home of shoyu so you can do a tour, nice onsen, and scenery, etc.

Kofu area of Yamanashi:
http://www.yamanashi-kankou.jp/foreign/english/area/kofu.html

And if you like trains, the Maglev test track in Yamanashi as well:
http://linear-museum.pref.yamanashi.jp/english/index.html

Kasumigaura in Ibaraki, depending on when in October you could catch the Hobiki boats: http://english.ibarakiguide.jp/news/sightseeing-boat-hobiki-sen.html

Also in Ibaraki, Fukuroda Waterfall and Rokkakudo are in Daigo town, which is a kinda rural area but nice.

Takasaki in Gunma as mentioned a few times, lots of museums and shrines, lots of music, good city to visit for a day or weekend. In the area is the new Unesco World Hertitage Sites like Tomioka Silk Mill or Takayama in Fujioka. Kiryu for old-town feel and kimono/silk. Kusatsu, Ikaho Onsen or Minakami area.

Nearby Ashikaga in Tochigi for the oldest school in Japan, wine vinyards, nice shrines in the area, and Mashiko for pottery, Utsunomiya for gyoza and jazz.

Chichibu area in Saitama.

If you really want out of the way, visit Tokyo's islands, Oshima and Niijima. Famous for kusaya!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: More than 10 prior trips to Tokyo, what now? 2016/4/23 23:29
Yugawara is an old hot springs town just north of Atami. It is very near the Manazuru Peninsula, too. Makes a good day trip or continue down to Shimoda.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: More than 10 prior trips to Tokyo, what now? 2016/4/24 00:21
Do you drink? If yes, there's Kiuchi Brewery in Ibaraki prefecture http://www.kodawari.cc/?en_home/about/restaurants.html and the Tachikawa Brewery http://www.a-zzurro.com/?page_id=318
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: More than 10 prior trips to Tokyo, what now? 2016/4/24 00:50
I am super delighted with the newest responses - Thank you these are great ideas. I will explore them! As for transport- I wouldn't dare drive in Japan, I stick to public transport. I'm from the US so driving on the left is a big barrier and then add in the fact that I can't read the signs - for sure that is a recipe for danger and trouble!

reply to this thread