Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What temple or shrine is this at? 2016/4/23 04:04
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows what shrine or temple is this located at?

http://s429.photobucket.com/user/anonymous20011/media/2016-04-21_16-48-47_zps3jheat1k.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
by Anonymous (guest)  

Re: What temple or shrine is this at? 2016/4/23 17:02
Looks Chinese to me. Where did you get the image from?
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: What temple or shrine is this at? 2016/4/24 06:55
I found this on someone's public photobucket. They didn't have any captions or name for it. I thought it might be somewhere in Japan. Figured someone might know here. You seem to identify it as probably something in China? Can you tell me why you think it's chinese or key differences between Japanese Shrines and Chinese ones?
by Anonymous (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What temple or shrine is this at? 2016/4/24 12:21
I might be wrong, but as an ordinary Japanese (i.d. having almost nothing of architectural knowledge), this temple does not look, at first glance, like a Japanese one.

I have an impression that this temple might be Korean (or may be Chinese).
The reasons are:
1. The color of the roof tiles of the building on the right (I think that blue or blueish roof tiles are rare, not common, in the Japanese temples, and they are often seen in Korean arichitecture).
2. The shape of mountains in the back with its vegetation does not give an impression of somewhere in Japan.
3. The general impression of the site, its lack of care, does not look like a Japanese temple.

I say again that being ignorant, I might be wrong. I will withdraw my conjecture, when someone identify this temple. At least, this is not a (shintoist) shrine.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What temple or shrine is this at? 2016/4/24 12:37
Could you contact the poster of the photo?
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What temple or shrine is this at? 2016/4/24 14:13
It looks like Shineungsa Temple in South Korea. I havent been there, but google it.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What temple or shrine is this at? 2016/4/24 15:57
Oh, you are right, Lazy Pious, and I was right, too. The OP should respond before me, but I googled and found this photo (https://www.toursbylocals.com/Seorak). This must be Sineungsa ƒVƒkƒ“ƒT(V‹»Ž›jand Seoraksan ƒ\ƒ‰ƒNƒTƒ“(αŠxŽR). I did not know Shineung temple, but I knew, though only by name, Mt. Seorak. I have never been to South Korea, but I have seen this name before, in my textbook of Korean language.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What temple or shrine is this at? 2016/4/24 18:18
I've been to South Korea. The temples and palaces are quite different from Japanese ones, and they are really colourful. It wasnt (at the time - about 2011) geared up for western tourism but it was quite nice and the food and accomodation in particular were great and cheap.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What temple or shrine is this at? 2016/4/24 20:41
In reply to @Anonymous. For me there was something in the profile of the mountains and also the surround of the building to the left that just didnt look Japanese. Well done to all for finding the location, I stand corrected about it being Chinese :)
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: What temple or shrine is this at? 2016/4/24 23:56
Found larger and closer one.
http://good.mond.jp/handora/tonman/files/ƒ\ƒ‰ƒN39.jpg
by Wos (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What temple or shrine is this at? 2016/4/26 08:07
Thanks so much everyone for helping me out! Based on the last post, from Wos (guest) it looks like it is at Sinheungsa Temple in South Korea. The image he posted as well as the one from the photobucket are the same, but different seasons lol :p. I might be going to Japan sometime this year, and love the view of the mountain, thought it was a temple in Japan I can visit, but I guess I won't find it in Japan lol.
by Anonymous (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread