Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best viewing at Ashikaga, Hitachi, Fuji 2016/4/26 19:20
Hi, I wish to visit a) Ashikaga Flower Park on 5th May b) Hitachi Sea-side Park on 6th May and c) Fuji Five Lakes from 10th to 13th May 2016. Will I be on time for the best viewing period for a) Wisteria b) Nemophilia and c) Shibazakura or moss phlox that grow in the respective parks? Please let me know. Thank you.
by RoMD (guest)  

Re: Best viewing at Ashikaga, Hitachi, Fuji 2016/4/26 19:50
The nemophila are two weeks early, so may already be over at Hitachi on your date. Check the website for pictures and updates as your date gets nearer to see if it is worth it to you to go: http://hitachikaihin.jp

At Hitachi, poppies should be starting though, so there are still nice flowers, but the nemophila will already be pretty patchy and green by then most likely.

Ashikaga Flower Park's wisteria should be nice by then, though. Check out the pictures on their blog up to your date as well: http://www.ashikaga.co.jp/parkdayori/flower.php

For the shibazakura, you can see a live view here: http://www.fujiyama-navi.jp/mtfuji-flower/index/page/2 From the press release, they are already at 60-70% blooming now.

I would switch Ashikaga and Hitachi, if you go to Hitachi at all. If you don't, I'd do Fuji instead the day after Ashikaga. Otherwise, keep checking the officials and make a decision closer to your dates.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Best viewing at Ashikaga, Hitachi, Fuji 2016/4/26 20:08
Thank you very much for the helpful info. I'm contemplating on visiting Nasu flower park around 7th or 8th May for the tulips. Do you think it is worth it to take the trip to the highlands?
by RoMD (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best viewing at Ashikaga, Hitachi, Fuji 2016/4/26 20:22
If the tulips there follow last year's pattern, I think it'll be very spectacular and perfect timing! I'd recommend heading there instead of Hitachi perhaps, if the pictures from Hitachi start getting disappointing. Also, Hitachi's tulips will be over by then already, but Nasu is higher up so the tulips bloom well into May there.

Don't forget to check out the onsen around Shiobara!

(Also this has nothing to do with anything, but Nasu Flower World's website has got to be one of the worst I've seen recently, especially compared to the other three linked above)

Re: Best viewing at Ashikaga, Hitachi, Fuji 2016/4/26 20:25
Wonderful. Thanks heaps, once again. You've been very helpful.
by RoMD (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best viewing at Ashikaga, Hitachi, Fuji 2016/4/26 21:46
Any one can advice how to get to the Nasu Flower park from Tokyo ?
many thanks
by ElbertPoh rate this post as useful

Re: Best viewing at Ashikaga, Hitachi, Fuji 2016/4/26 22:06
@ElbertPoh, use hyperdia.com to check the schedule from a Tokyo station (TOKYO, UENO, SHINJUKU etc.) to SHIN-SHIRAKAWA station. The line is serviced both by direct shinkansen, and regular trains. From Shin-Shirakawa station, you can take a bus to near the flower park then walk, or better would be to take a taxi from the station. It takes about 20 minutes by car.

Re: Best viewing at Ashikaga, Hitachi, Fuji 2016/4/26 22:23
Thank you

Re: Best viewing at Ashikaga, Hitachi, Fuji 2016/4/27 00:02
Can I see the Wisteria and Nemophila in Tokyo? I'll be there 9 to 13 May.
by skpooh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best viewing at Ashikaga, Hitachi, Fuji 2016/4/27 00:32
Hi Skpooh,

For fuji (wisteria), there are a few choices: Jindai Botanical Garden (closest station Chofu on the Keio Line), Okuno has wild fuji growing (near Hinodemachi/Tachikawa/Fussa area), and Kokuryo Shrine (also Chofu on the Keio Line) are some of the ones with events into early May. Ashikaga Flower Garden is perhaps the place with the most, though. Also a few places in Chiba and Kanagawa.

Your dates are a little late for the wisteria... there might be some, but it'd be the tail end. I think you should consider Ashikaga Flower Park because there are many varieties, so you could get lucky with a later blooming one.

Your options for nemophila in Tokyo proper (or the Greater Tokyo Area) are pretty slim. Your best bet besides Hitachi Seaside Park is Tachikawa's Showa Kinen Koen (http://www.showakinen-koen.jp) However, they don't have the solid blue style but rather multi colored ones. Also, I'd guess that if Hitachi's nemophila are 2 weeks early, Showa Kinen's aren't going to be much different. But you can also see wisteria there, so it might be an option. In a normal year you'd probably hit the nemophila nicely, but this year due to a warmer than average winter, a lot of the flowers (especially the nemophila) are early. It's just one of those things with flowers... weather makes a big difference!

Re: Best viewing at Ashikaga, Hitachi, Fuji 2016/4/27 13:25
Ashikaga Flower Park and Hitachi Seaside Park = both are too far out from Tokyo. Do not have enough time to travel all the way there.

How should I travel to Tachikawa's Showa Kinen Koen from Shinjuku/Shibuya/Tokyo station? How long is the journey?

by skpooh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best viewing at Ashikaga, Hitachi, Fuji 2016/4/27 23:15
The easiest way is to go from Shinjuku on the Chuo Line to Tachikawa, then either walk (~20 min) or just take a taxi to the park. It'll take 25-35 min by train depending on the train.

If you don't want to take a taxi or walk far, switch to the Ome line at Tachikawa for Nishitachikawa station, from where the park is only a few minutes' walk. It'll add about 10 minutes total plus walking time.

Check hyperdia.com for train times and schedules. Your stations are SHINJUKU (or another Tokyo station), TACHIKAWA, and NISHI-TACHIKAWA.

Re: Best viewing at Ashikaga, Hitachi, Fuji 2016/4/28 09:06
@skpooh
Can share your itinerary for the 5 days as I am also at Tokyo on 7-11May and my tentative plan as below:
7May: Ashikaga Flower park +Tatebayashi Flower Park
8May:Nasu Park +Kameido+Asakusa
OR
8May:Hitchi Seaside Park+Kasama (If flower at Hitachi park still ok)
9May:FujiShibazakura Festival
10May:Yachiyo Rose Garen+Shibamata
11May:Free and easy at Tokyo city (Perhaps the outlet as well)

Itinerary review - suggestion welcome 2016/4/28 09:17
Below is my 5 days plan for the coming trip to Tokyo on 7-11May any suggestion and comments are welcome and much appreciated.

7May: Ashikaga Flower park +Tatebayashi Flower Park

8May:Nasu Park +Kameido+Asakusa
OR
8May:Hitchi Seaside Park+Kasama (If flower at Hitachi park still ok)

9May:FujiShibazakura Festival
10May:Yachiyo Rose Garen+Shibamata
11May:Free and easy at Tokyo city (Perhaps the outlet as well)

reply to this thread