Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary Review 2016/5/2 09:00
Like others, I'm seeking feedback on our Japanese vacation itinerary.

Background: Three of us traveling--my spouse and I and our 17 year old daughter. All are experienced travelers although our exposure to Asia has been mostly limited to one trip to China and some work trips to India. We enjoy learning about history and culture and seeing things which are unique and uncommon as we travel. We aren't big shoppers or nightlife folks (obviously with a minor in tow).

Travel is for June, 2016 as that's when airline award space was available.

Day 0: Arrive at NRT. Check in to hotel in Tokyo and get acclimated.
Day 1: Walk around western Tokyo: Shibuya-Shinjuku-Meiji Temple area. (Recommendations on guided walking tours in English are definitely welcome).
Day 2: Day trip to Hakone/see Mt. Fuji
Day 3: Explore eastern Tokyo: Asakusa Shrine/Tokyo National Museum/Tokyo SkyTree
Day 4: Day trip to Nikko
Day 5: Travel to Kyoto. Will spend the other half-day exploring either Tokyo or Kyoto
Day 6: Eastern Kyoto: Ginkakuji/Philosopher's Path/Heian Shrine/others
Day 7: Day trip to Hiroshima
Day 8: Western Kyoto: Monkeys/Tenryuji/Arashiyama
Day 9: Day trip to Osaka
Day 10: Travel back to Tokyo via Nara
Day 11: TBD in Tokyo. Maybe Disneysea?
Day 12: Return to NRT for flight back to US.

I was planning to get the 14 day JR pass to handle the Tokyo-Kyoto-Tokyo travel and the various day trips.

Any other feedback on things we're missing for a first trip would be great.

by jpbmr  

Re: Itinerary Review 2016/5/2 20:55
Make sure the JR Pass will pay off. It'll probably come close with the trip to Hiroshima, but make sure you do the calculations.

Day 1: Go to Meiji first; it will be least busy first thing in the morning. Then go to Shibuya from there, since it's only one stop away; Shinjuku after that. I wouldn't worry about a guided walking tour; Japan is easy to navigate yourself. Use this website or a guidebook for suggested sights and the history/culture of each.

Day 5: Use the Eastern Kyoto Full Day walking tour available in the itineraries section of this website. Includes the sights you've listed plus several other popular ones. I did it last month and it was great, very easy to follow and never too far between destinations (but I'm okay walking up to 30 minutes between places).

Day 7: Consider visiting Miyajima; don't rush Hiroshima though, you can always go to Miyajima in the late afternoon or evening to see the floating torii illuminated. Make sure you time your trains properly, though - I made the mistake of staying too long and ended up missing the last direct train back to Kyoto, and it took me 3 hours to get back because the shinkansen didn't line up well!

Day 11: DisneySea would be a good choice, since it's unique to Japan. Always good to have a relaxing, fun day as a break to culture-heavy sightseeing!

One of my favourite unique souvenirs is a shrine/temple book, a goshuincho. These are small books, sold at most shrines and temples in different designs, in which you get "stamps" from each shrine/temple. The "stamps" are written by monks or shrine workers who inscribe the name of the shrine/temple, the date and a small message (e.g. "pray respectfully") in calligraphy (Japanese characters, of course), and then add the shrine/temple ink stamps. The books cost around 1000 yen each (including first stamp); each subsequent stamp is 300 yen (standard price, never encountered any difference regardless of shrine/temple). These books are one of my favourite souvenirs I've brought home, and will always be original because no one will have the same order of stamps! You can also buy the books at Tokyu Hands; they have a greater choice of designs, but they tend to be more expensive.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Review 2016/5/3 02:54
I agree with everything @SQ says. Just to add my ha'penny worth. For me the crowds are part of visiting Meiji. If you are lucky the Irises will be in full bloom at the Meiji jingu gyoen
http://www.meijijingu.or.jp/english/nature/2.html
On Day 5 I would go to Kyoto early & have the extra time there as there is so much to see. If you are going to Miyajima while in Hiroshima (& I would) then check on the tide time to make sure you get the conditions you want. You say back to Tokyo via Nara. That doesn't really work as Nara is in the wrong direction. Unless you mean to store your luggage in lockers at Kyoto station, if so then fine. I would get the JR Pass as although it may not work out much cheaper it makes everything so much more convenient allowing you to book seats in advance.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Review 2016/5/3 03:06
Get the 7 day pass instead. That will save you a decent amount of money!
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Review 2016/5/3 03:32
My previous post has been annoying me ever since I hit the submit button. I apologise for the fact that it doesn't read well. Let me add a couple of extra things to make up for it.
Allow for a couple of rainy days and think of what you can do indoors if necessary. Edo-Tokyo Museum, Osaka aquarium and the Battleship Yamato museum in Kure are some of the places I have enjoyed visiting on days when the weather has been terrible. My previous point about the JR pass should have also said that it is liberating to have one as you can just get on any train as the mood takes.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Review 2016/5/3 06:00
I would add a day in Hiroshima and visit Miyajima.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread