Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tattoos allowed in Dogo Onsen? 2016/5/5 14:07
I know some onsen have policies against tattoos, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Dogo Onsen in particular? I'm a Caucasian female (I heard the policy is often more strict for men and Asian individuals) with a medium-sized tattoo on my shoulder/back. The website for Dogo Onsen is all in Japanese, so I can't tell if they have a policy against tattoos, or if they do, how strictly they actually enforce it. Thanks!
by Mel (guest)  

Re: Tattoos allowed in Dogo Onsen? 2016/5/5 20:56
I am not sure. I am a Caucasian male with a wedding band tattoo. I have been to several onsens around Japan, and have never been refused entry. I have been given on two occasions a band-aid to cover up my wedding band tattoo, but that is it. I have never been to the Dogo Onsen, so I cannot even tell you if they would give me a Band-Aid to cover up.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos allowed in Dogo Onsen? 2016/5/5 21:58
Are you talking about the original Dogo Onsen or some place else? Because their official website that I'm looking at is all in four different languages including English.
http://www.dogo.or.jp/pc/about/

If you see nothing there, you can use it as an excuse. Either way, suggesting from the way it's in four languages, they seem to welcome foreign tourists, so I'm pretty sure they can do something about your tattoo, if that's the facility you're talking about, that is.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos allowed in Dogo Onsen? 2016/5/6 09:54
Oh, you're correct, I didn't scroll down before, but now I see that the website does have some English, though not every page. I've been to one onsen before and didn't have an issues with my tattoo, but I plan to visit a lot more on this trip and don't want to be turned away, especially after paying the admission fee, as I'm on a budget. And my tattoo is much larger than what could be covered with a Band-Aid, so I'm not sure how accommodating they would be if someone did take issue with mine.
by Mel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos allowed in Dogo Onsen? 2016/5/6 10:21
I was in a Pension hotel in Hiroshima in their Onsen and there was a middle aged Japanese guy with big tat's all over his back and a missing finger. Tried not to look him in the eye. :)
But there tend to be separate rules for Gaijin. That was 15 years ago.
I'd say you'd be fine nowadays.
by Matt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos allowed in Dogo Onsen? 2016/5/6 12:05
Not tattoo, but I just remembered that when I (a Japanese woman) visited the exhibition section of the original Dogo Onsen baths, the guide led me to the "imperial bath" in which the late Emperor bathed. The guide suddenly said, "This bathing room is off-limits......but I see no one looking at the moment." and I got to sit in the empty bath tub ;) So I gather that it's basically a pretty loose, entertaining and understanding facility.

By the way, be sure to ride the "Botchan Ressha" train while you're in the city. The conductors are entertaining as well!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos allowed in Dogo Onsen? 2016/5/27 16:46
I am a tattoo artist, my most part of body covered with tattoo.
I have been to Dogo onsen several times and they never stop me to use onsen. Mayor of Dogo onsen area officially announced that Dogo onsen will not judge people by its appearance.

http://archive.is/GL5tA 

Sorry, it's in Japanese:(
by HorienSWALLOW ART (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos allowed in Dogo Onsen? 2016/5/27 17:00
Thank you, that makes me feel much better!
by Mel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos allowed in Dogo Onsen? 2016/5/27 19:08
Remenber it's not a common case though! Most onsen doesn't accept tattooed people... So I always choose a ryokan whihc have a parivate small onsen for families and couples.
by HorienSWALLOW ART (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread