Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Blu Ray player 2016/5/15 14:25
I'm originally from Australia but now residing in Japan.

I'm after a Blu Ray that plays both regions. I don't mind if I have to mod it myself, so long as its simple enough. Rakuten has some that are pre-modded, but they're pretty pricey (in Aus my region free player cost about $50. I'm not expecting Japan to be the same, but I'd rather stay around $200 + shipping)

It doesn't need to record or do anything fancy, just play both regions. It looks like Sony or the Oppo (?) might be the best bet, but I'm not really sure about models.

Any help would be appreciated!
by Midori Hime 77  

Re: Blu Ray player 2016/5/15 23:13
I don't think Japanese electric companies sell region-free players.
I think it is illegal.
you can find those of made in China, Korea, and Taiwan.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Blu Ray player 2016/5/16 06:27
Thanks for your response

I'm not an expert, but I don't think its illegal to make/sell them. In Australia, it's illegal/heavily frowned on to advertise them as region free, so I'd assume it's the same with Japan. Many will be advertised as one region only but there are simple ways to change them (usually by using the remote), which is what I'm looking for.

Regardless of the brand (Japanese or otherwise), I'd still need to know the make and model of a region free one that would would work in Japan, so I'm still looking for suggestions.
by Midori Hime 77 rate this post as useful

Re: Blu Ray player 2016/5/18 09:58
I don't think it is illegal. I bought one from Amazon.
Also I know Costco sells those.
by y.g. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Blu Ray player 2016/5/18 10:02
p.s.
Mine is Panasonic DMP -BD89
by y.g. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Blu Ray player 2016/5/23 10:43
Yeah, it seems weird that it would be illegal. We're discouraged from promoting it in Australia, so I assume it's the same thing.

Unfortunately I'm not near a costco :/ I'm assuming by amazon you mean amazon Japan? I'll give it a go! Thanks for the info!
by Midori Hime 77 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread