Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can i travel in kyushu after earthquake? 2016/5/16 18:07
I plan to travel in fukuoka , beppu , Yufuin & kumamoto and also Huis ten bosch. I'm so worry after earthquake & many damaged area. So How can i know? & Where can i go or cannot?
My plan is 23-27 JUL 2016 & Stay at fukuoka.
by Apirat ed  

Re: Can i travel in kyushu after earthquake? 2016/5/16 21:00
Yes, you can have fun in Kyushu.

Kumamoto Prefecture and Oita Prefecture were the two prefectures that suffered serious damage. Other places you mentioned were unaffected. Also, by July, a lot may change for the better.

You also might want to check your country's Embassy in Japan. For example, the American Embassy in Tokyo offers updates regarding Kyushu, and even have a registeration systems to keep American travellers updated.
http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-alert-20160418.html
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Can i travel in kyushu after earthquake? 2016/5/16 22:02
The earthquake did very little damage on the island as a whole. The damage was confined predominantly to northeastern Kumamoto and a little bit of western Oita.

Fukuoka, Saga, and Nagasaki are all fine. The sites in Oita you mentioned are also okay.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Can i travel in kyushu after earthquake? 2016/5/17 11:40
Most of Kyushu has moved on from the quakes. Business is as usual. Some things will not be operational for some time. But as a whole Kyushu is as before the quake.

Kumamoto Castle, Aso Shrine and the Hohi train line are all out of action and will be for some time. Everything else is all good.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can i travel in kyushu after earthquake? 2016/5/17 13:02
Hakata14, I am sorry to hijack this thread but you seem to be the Kyushu expert. We are going later this week and I am going from Fukuoka to Yufuin on Saturday. Checking hyperdia it looks as though the Yufuin no Mori only runs once, but other trains run the same route. Is Yufuin no Mori just the train itself and not the route?
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can i travel in kyushu after earthquake? 2016/5/17 14:53
The rail line between Kurume and Oita is called the Kyudai Line. It also runs through Hita, Bungomori and Yufuin.

Yufuin no Mori is a train service. A Kiha 72 (model of train) 5 car train runs 2 return trips Hakata to Yufuin per day, and a Kiha 71 4 car train runs 1 return trip Hakata to Oita per day.

There should be 3 services to and from Yufuin per day. Unless there is a maintenance schedule going on, then they will replace the trains with a Kiha 185 3 car set, which is similar to the Yufu Express (Hakata to Yufuin) and Trans Kyushu Express (Kumamoto to Oita).

This information regards maintenance should be on the Kyushu Railway website. If you cannot locate it. Please tell me the date of you travels and I'll investigate.

Re: Can i travel in kyushu after earthquake? 2016/5/17 14:58
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/intervaltime.html?dep_node=HAKATA&ar...

Just checked. LTD EXP Yufu 71 + 75 are the replacement services. So there must be some maintenance of one of the train sets going on currently.

Re: Can i travel in kyushu after earthquake? 2016/5/17 18:32
Thank you very much for that. So given that we would have had a big travel day the day before, the 10.30 train might be a bit early for us so we will look at something around 12 to 2PM. I understand that the trip is really pretty, so we are looking forward to it.

Re: Can i travel in kyushu after earthquake? 2016/5/18 06:50
It depends on how rushed you are. But you could stop at a few locations. Hita has an old town area about a 1000 yen taxi trip from the station. Amakase is a onsen town by the river. Bungomori has a old steam train roundhouse and preserved steam locomotive. Sugikawachi as some nice water falls in which you can walk in behind the wall of water.

Enjoy your trip.

Re: Can i travel in kyushu after earthquake? 2016/5/18 10:52
Thanks again. On the plane tomorrow night...

Re: Can i travel in kyushu after earthquake? 2016/5/18 11:20
Many thanks all of you for all information.
by Apirat ed rate this post as useful

Re: Can i travel in kyushu after earthquake? 2016/5/22 18:51
Hi,
I've planned a trip around Kyushu in november, what about Kunisaki Peninsula, Kurokawa, Takachiho? I've planned to visit these areas with car, is a good idea or is better to go there in a future trip?
by Iron81 rate this post as useful

Re: Can i travel in kyushu after earthquake? 2016/5/22 19:48
all those places are fine. they are best accessed by car or bus.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Can i travel in kyushu after earthquake? 2016/5/22 22:59
Thanks, but... what about earthquake related consequences in those areas?

Re: Can i travel in kyushu after earthquake? 2016/5/23 15:36
all those places are fine. they are best accessed by car or bus.

Re: Can i travel in kyushu after earthquake? 2016/5/23 20:09
Perfect, thanks...

Re: Can i travel in kyushu after earthquake? 2016/5/23 22:05
Perfect, thanks...

Re: Can i travel in kyushu after earthquake? 2016/5/24 22:02
Hi I am traveling to Nagasaki on Jun 5th and thinking of driving from Kumamato to Takachiho and Kurokawa and finally to Yufuin.

Can someone help me with these questions ;
a) Are the routes and highways from Kumamato closed or in any way obstructed to those destinations
b) Am I better off taking a train direct from Shin Tosu to Yufuin and then renting a car there to Kurokawa and Takachiho
c) Any information on status of roads would be appreciated

Thanks
by Liv2golf rate this post as useful

Re: Can i travel in kyushu after earthquake? 2016/5/24 23:08
Perfect, thanks...

Re: Can i travel in kyushu after earthquake? 2016/5/25 06:00
Some roads between Kumamoto and Aso are closed due to landslip. There are alternate route available to use. All the other routes you asked about are open.

reply to this thread