Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Will I have enough money? 2016/5/26 20:30
Hello, I'm going to Japan next year for two weeks (already been once but it was for a four day stop over). I plan on going with anywhere between 160,000 yen and 240,000 depending on how much I'm able to save.

I'll be visiting Kyoto, Nara, Hiroshima and Tokyo (I will have the JR Pass already paid for so Shinkansen won't have to be taken into account). We'll be eating at relatively cheap/medium restaurants most of the time. When it comes to the types of activities we will be doing it'll be mainly visiting shrines, temples & museums (for Hiroshima) and the different districts of Tokyo. We'll also be visiting the Tokyo Skytree as well.

Will that be enough money to have for two weeks whilst also having enough to buy some souvenirs and merchandise?
by Shutainzu  

Re: Will I have enough money? 2016/5/27 09:56
What about accomodation?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Will I have enough money? 2016/5/27 11:35
That would be between Y11,000-17,000 a day. It really depends on your accommodations. Let's say you manage to book a Y9000 twin sharing room then splitting the room with someone will give you Y6500- 12500 a day. I would say that would be more than enough. Entrance to shrines of temples are sometimes free or for restricted areas it could be between Y300-800. Meals can be had for Y600-1000 in ramen shops or chain restaurants (Yoshinoya, Matsuya, Tenya). For meals that are a bit fancy, that would be in the Y2000 range. You can use the all you can ride bus pass in Kyoto for Y500. Train fares in and around Tokyo shouldn't cost you more than Y1000 a day (or it would be included in your JR Pass if you're taking the JR Yamamote loop).
by ami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will I have enough money? 2016/5/27 20:56
Accommodation is already paid for, sorry forgot to say that. All I needed to know was whether or not is was enough for two weeks for spending money, food and travel not including the shinkansen ! Thanks guys

by Shutainzu rate this post as useful

Re: Will I have enough money? 2016/5/27 21:41
160,000 - 240,000 Yen is about 1000 - 1500 Pounds.

Is 1000 - 1500 Pounds enough money for two weeks in the UK with major transportation and accommodation paid for?
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will I have enough money? 2016/5/28 08:19
averages per day (can be up or down) with accommodation + rail pass already paid for.

1. eating a cheap food places 2000 per day
2. bus and rail travel 1000 per day
3. entry + donations for shines/temples 1000 per day

so you'll need 4000 per day on average.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Will I have enough money? 2016/5/29 02:07
Daily spending for food should be around 2,000-3,000 yen for small restaurants and may raise up to around 5,000 yen if it involves something like sushi (of course the lower class one)

Fee for temples, shrines, castles, museums are mostly around few hundreds yen. The more expensive one will be something like Tokyo Tower or Tokyo Skytree.

Kyoto might as well be the only place that will probably cost around or more than 1,000 yen per day since JR Pass is hardly covered there. For places like Tokyo and Osaka, the JR line alone can get you to most good places, only few hundred yen needed daily.

Taken those into account, you are likely to have around 4,000 - 5,000 yen remaining per day on average, which you can use to purchase some merchandise.

Therefore, even 160,000 yen (around 10,000 yen per day) is more than enough for spending there, well unless you shop for some clothes or electronics.
by Indra (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will I have enough money? 2016/5/29 06:16
160.000 yen
- JR Pass paid
- Accomodation paid

If I read right ?
Is your plane ticket alread paid or need to be paid ?

if yes, You have more than enough money,
if no, it should still be enough.

I stayed in Nara for 2 weeks, and I only spend 500-800€
But I didn't buy much souvenir, and I paid for my train tickets.

Just watch what you want to eat, if you eat 3 times a day in a restaurant, well could be difficult on your last day.
by Uriziel rate this post as useful

reply to this thread