Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kiyomizu-dera, Kinkakuji & Bamboo in 1-Day 2016/5/27 06:34
Hi,

I will be arrived at Kyoto St. very early, 5.30 am and targets Kiyomizu-dera, Golden Pavillion & the Bamboo Forrest.

The route should end at Ryokan Yamazaki (right between Kinkakuji & Arashiyama). My family is of 4 people so yes, taxi is considered.

1. My 1st route should be Kiyomizu-dera by bus. Correct?

2. After that, should I go Kinkakuji or Bamboo next? How should I go there?

3. Can I visit Nishiki after Kiyomizu-dera?

4. Any suggestion is welcome.

Thank you very much for your kindness.
by Tom Hardi  

Re: Kiyomizu-dera, Kinkakuji & Bamboo in 1-Day 2016/5/27 09:40
Do you have to do everything in one day? Because it makes more geographical sense to do the tourist spots in Higashiyama in one day (Kiyomizu-dera, Gion, Ginkaku-ji) and have a separate day for Arashiyama/Kinkaku-ji.

That said, if you have to do Kiyomizu-dera, Kinkaku-ji and the Arashiyama Bamboo Grove in one day, it's probably doable though it will be a lot of time spent on the road. Start at Kiyomizu-dera (opens at 6am?), maybe stop by Gion/Nishiki afterwards, then take the bus to Kinkaku-ji, then the Randen to Arashiyama.
by AT (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kiyomizu-dera, Kinkakuji & Bamboo in 1-Day 2016/5/27 12:49
Well, the day aftter I am planning to go to Nara then head to Osaka. In that case, I think will focus on Kiyomizu-dera and Kinkakuji.

Bamboo grove will be optional or tomorrow morning if it is okay. I'm just afraid too many temples/shrines and travel will make kids bored.

Thanks for your great reply! Tom.
by Tom Hardi rate this post as useful

Re: Kiyomizu-dera, Kinkakuji & Bamboo in 1-Day 2016/5/27 14:38
You could easily do this in one day, but it is a fairly inefficient day. Lots of back and forward transport for not so much stuff.

If you're going to Kinkaku-ji, you really should also stop in at Ryoan-ji. Heck, I think you could even visit Daitoku-ji, which I think is quite under-rated.

I would go to Arashiyama in the morning, nice and early. Then make my way to Ryoan-ji then Kinkaku-ji then Daitoku-ji.
I'd then make my way back to Gion, walk up Sannenzaka-Ninenzaka to Kiyomizu-dera. Then walk back down and have dinner in Gion or perhaps even Ponto-cho.
by ausmomo rate this post as useful

Re: Kiyomizu-dera, Kinkakuji & Bamboo in 1-Day 2016/5/27 14:40
My apologies, just noted the bit about your desire to end at your ryokan.

As Kiyomizu-dera opens at 6am you could do it in reverse.

Re: Kiyomizu-dera, Kinkakuji & Bamboo in 1-Day 2016/5/27 23:23
Hi Ausmomo,

If you have to choose between Arashimaya route or Kinkakuji route, which one will you pick?

Then since my ryokan will be the last, do you think i can just stroll with my luggage (not big one, medium size)?

Thanks a lot, Ausmomo. Tom.
by Tom Hardi rate this post as useful

Re: Kiyomizu-dera, Kinkakuji & Bamboo in 1-Day 2016/5/28 05:44
Stroll with luggage? You're mad, lol!

Personally I'd rather delay the day's start so that I could check it in at the ryokan, and then head out.

How are you arriving to Kyoto? Can you store the luggage with someone?

Re: Kiyomizu-dera, Kinkakuji & Bamboo in 1-Day 2016/5/28 07:34
Arashiyama is the best option if you have kids to prevent boredom. You have the option of model railway, scenic railway, boat rides and monkey park at Arashiyama. MY kids loved the Komono Garden lights at Arashiyama-Randen station.

You really don't have time to do all 3 listed locations in one day. And Kiyomizudera is just on the wrong side of town to do it properly full stop. Since your Ryokan is in the north-west corner of Kyoto, I would sightsee that side of town to make things easier.

And personally I wouldn't put Nara on an itinerary if Arashiyama and Kiyomizudera weren't on it first. I'd probably visit Fishimi Inari before Nara also, but that is personal taste and everyone differs.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread