Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advice on Hokkaido itinerary 9 - 15 June 2016/6/2 22:43
Hi,
Would really love your suggestions, feedback and help on my upcoming holiday. We are a family of 3 including an 11 year old boy, and its our first visit to Hokkaido and our 3rd to Japan. We arrive at Chitose airport and the general plan is to spend 3 nights based in Sapporo then 3 nights driving around Hokkaido before flying out of Chitose again. My husband and son are very active, and we'd like to fit in some running and swimming (in the pool) while we are there.

In Sapporo, the tentative plan is:
Day 1: Arrive just before lunch. Settle in, then wander around Sapporo, maybe visit the asahi or sapporo brewery. Have a nice dinner
Day 2: Thought of renting a bicycle for each of us (advice on where to rent would be great!) and spend the day biking up Toyohira River to Moeremura Park then to Satoland
Day 3: We have a Japanese friend and her toddler visiting Sapporo at the same time, and they are staying near Maruyama. So we have to look for something child friendly and fairly easy to do: I was thinking we could meet at Maruyama Park and perhaps visit Hokkaido Shrine, and possibly take the ropeway up Mt Moiwa?
Day 4: Visit Otaru and Yoichi (Yoichi Distillary). Does it matter that its on a Sunday? I'm planning to rent a carand drive to the Shakotan Peninsular for the view and the uni; and if strawberry season has started by 10June, we could visit some of the farms in Yoichi? Any suggestions here? Then we have to head somewhere to stay for the night - I haven't decided where.

I was thinking of spending 2 of the 3 nights someplace like Lake Toya, beacause its pretty, there are fireworks, places of interest within driving distance that we can go to do some light hiking and visiting on Day 5. Then on Day 6 perhaps head towards Sounkyo / Furano area? Is that far to drive? I don't have a handle on the distances and times yet. No idea where to stay in these areas yet. We 'd like to spend at least 1 night in a Ryokan style place with breakfast and dinner served and onsen. Again, suggestions would be most appreciated.

Then on Day 7 we would drive to the airport to drop off the car. Or would it be better to stay in Sapporo on Day 6, return the car there and take a bus or train to the airport?

We'd also love suggestions on where to eat. On the list of foods we would like to eat at Soup Curry, Crab, Sashimi / sushi, Ramen. Anything else that are must try dishes?

Also suggestions on nice jogging routes and where we can rent bicycles would be fantastic
Thanks very very much!
by Gajahgirl  

Re: Advice on Hokkaido itinerary 9 - 15 June 2016/6/3 14:47
One thing to note when in Hokkaido is the difference in transport as compared to other parts of Japan. The train from the airport to Sapporo isnt as modern as you would expect. The rest of the trip, when driving, should be good though.

Shakotan isnt all that pretty. Especially if you are already heading to Lake Toya. Your sunday is pretty pack. Otaru would take a good 3 hours just by itself.

You can walk about the Shikotsu-Toya National Park. Makes for some good nature, though it isnt really long stretches of walking. For that the trails just north of Noboribetsu onsen are possible. Another option is to trek/drive to Lake Kuttaro and back.

To go to Furano would take no more than 6 hours for a newbie. Once you get used to the driving it should be about 4 hours.

Better to drive to airport. Though it is an unnecessary cost IMO. Unless your child is easily stressed by small spaces, take the train to the airport.

For the Ryokan, this may help:
https://japaneseguesthouses.com/ryokans-destinations/?region=Hokkaido

In Hokkaido
Eat Wagyu
Eat Pudding
Eat cakes (esp. Otaru)
Eat seasonal fruit/vegetable
Drink milk
Drink juice
Its farmland in the end.

If you want sushi/sashimi, I always find that Tokyo has good enough ones. Since Tsukuji is there.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice on Hokkaido itinerary 9 - 15 June 2016/6/3 17:48
Thanks for your input. Looks like we'll drop Shakotan then. We can get our uni fix in Sapporo or Otaru I expect :)

Lake Kuttara looks beautiful. Perhaps instead to heading to Furano, we should stay in the Shikotsu-Toya area for 3 nights, then drive to the airport? My son is a good traveller - I'm not concerned about him taking the train, but if the additional sum gives us some convenience and saves time then might be worth it.

Would the Salmon Aquarium be worth a visit at this time of the year en route to the airport? Its not the right season for Salmon going upsteam or their fry going back down?

Will check out the ryokan now...

Any other feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks!
by Gajahgirl rate this post as useful

reply to this thread