Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

7 days trip in Ibaraki and surrounding 2016/6/16 22:18
Dear all, I'm planning for a 7-day trip in Japan and the place I would like to see so far is Oarai Isosaki Shrine (the shrine in the sea) which, I was told, is in Ibaraki.

I checked the net and there aren't many travel guides (e,g, transportation) on Ibaraki and its surroundings.

I want to visit this shrine in June and I was wondering if any of you kind souls here know of any easily accessible places near the shrine/ Ibaraki which can fill up the 7 days trip. I prefer nature sites.

Thanks for the recommendation.
by indigo (guest)  

Re: 7 days trip in Ibaraki and surrounding 2016/6/17 11:23
I really like that shrine! There's an onsen near it called Shiosai I think where there's a carbonated water bath... It's really good!

Oarai is very close to Mito, so you could go to Kairakuen garden and sightsee around Mito museuns. Also near there is Hitachi of Hitachi Seaside Park fame. Depending on when in June there's a good chance of some nice flowers still, and the park has great bike paths and a small amusement park.

South-ish of that area is Lake Kasumigaura which has unique Hobiki boats during the summer months to see and ride... Not sure about June though.

Up north is the huge Fukuroda waterfall in Daigo city, and near there along the coast is Rokkakudo.

If you don't mind exploring the area around Ibaraki, there's lots to do in the prefectures around it like Fukushima, Tochigi, and Chiba. It might depend on how you get around of course.

It's nice to see someone focus on a lesser known prefecture!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: 7 days trip in Ibaraki and surrounding 2016/7/2 08:50
Thank you scarreddragon! I like all your suggestions, and because it's a "lesser known" prefecture, I am apprehensive. I am thinking of also going to the beaches and Mt Tsukuba.

I have also added Nikko to my itinerary.
by indigo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7 days trip in Ibaraki and surrounding 2016/7/2 14:58
In case you havenft already gone through it, below is the Oarai Isosaki Jinja official website with a page on access.
http://oarai-isosakijinja.or.jp/

And here is a short video on the shrine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8BU2OqftE8
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: 7 days trip in Ibaraki and surrounding 2016/7/2 15:32
How are you planning to get around? I can recommend different things in surrounding areas depending if you're doing train, bus, or rental car.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: 7 days trip in Ibaraki and surrounding 2016/7/2 20:40
I also plan to go there on my next trip mid of next year, I was gonna try osaka and to korea, but have to stay around tokyo area for some reasons.

Anyway, I intend to rent a car, and my main visit is to Fukushima aquarium and surrounding area and onsen in Shiosai sounds good.

@scarreddragon

Do you have more information on this onsen in Shiosai.

thanks
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: 7 days trip in Ibaraki and surrounding 2016/7/3 08:19
@scarreddragon

I will be on train and bus.
by indigo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread