Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Observation decks in Tokyo 2016/6/17 04:30
Which is your favourite observation deck in Tokyo? I have to choose 2 or 3 of them... they are not so cheap sometime, Sky Tree, Mori Tower and Wtc are the best examples. I will choose the Sky Tree, do you think it is better the Wtc or Mori Tower? If weather will be good enough, I will go to I Link tower too.
by Piuma  

Re: Observation decks in Tokyo 2016/6/17 11:37
I like Bunkyo Civic Center and Seaside Top, both listed here: http://whereintokyo.com/dbinx/view.html

Bunkyo Civic Center is free, and Seaside Top is only around Y600. There are also a lot of tall buildings with restaurant complexes near the top that you can go to for free.

I link Tower isn't in Tokyo.

by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Observation decks in Tokyo 2016/6/17 12:12

Tokyo Skytree would have to be on the top list!
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Observation decks in Tokyo 2016/6/17 12:27
I prefer the Mori Tower in Roppongi simply because they have an open air observation deck on the roof. Best place to take night photos of the city without having to deal with reflections in glass windows.
by daai maou rate this post as useful

Re: Observation decks in Tokyo 2016/6/17 12:41
I really liked Seaside Top, as mentioned above. It was easy to access (above Hamamatsucho Station on the Yamanote Line), relatively cheap (especially compared to Skytree) and had a great view of Tokyo Tower. I went there twice to watch the sunset!
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Observation decks in Tokyo 2016/6/17 21:14
I would have to say the Mori Building in Roppongi as well. You have the rooftop and that gives you nearly 360 degrees viewing without windows. It also gives you a perfect view of Tokyo Tower and when that is lit, it's a beautiful sight. You can also see Haneda and Odaiba pretty well, as well as all the buildings in Shinjuku. You are close to many tall buildings, so it gives you size perspective.

Skytree is nice and awe-inspiring, but it's far from any other landmarks (Shinjuku and Marunouchi), so all you see are the Edo Museum and Asakusa. That area tends to have shorter buildings, so there isn't much to see. TMG is nice, but views are blocked in many directions and it's hard to navigate to see them fluidly. Then you have the windows and lighting to deal with. Yes, you may see Fujisan on a clear winter day, but if you could see it from TMG, you can see it from Mori as well.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Observation decks in Tokyo 2016/6/18 01:40
Thank you so much for your replies :)
And... what about using a tripod in these decks?
by Piuma rate this post as useful

Re: Observation decks in Tokyo 2016/6/18 04:59
I don't know for the WTC in Tokyo itself. But most busy tourist/visitor locations ban tripods due to the safety concerns.

There are also some nice gardens close to the ETC to check out.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Observation decks in Tokyo 2016/6/18 12:39
So far the only observatories I've been to in the city are the Tōkyō City View (Mori Tower), the Tōkyō Skytree, and the one in the Tōkyō Metropolitan Government Building. I don't have much to say about the third (other than its being free was an obvious bonus), but here's my two cents' about the other two:

Tōkyō City View (Mori Tower) - Conditions were a little hazy during my nighttime visit, though even then I had some pretty good views of the city. It's not nearly as high as the Skytree, but in a way this probably improved the view as I was closer to the buildings I was looking at and could discern details more easily. And of course, there's the open-air platform that not even the Skytree can boast of.

https://withinstrikingdistance.wordpress.com/2014/02/22/field-report-t...

Tōkyō Skytree - Pricey, so to make the most of it I went just before sunset and stayed until dark which gave me both daytime and nighttime views (two for the price of one, haha). It's so much higher than the Mori Tower that the views were more akin to that one might get from an aeroplane, with the skyline looking a bit flatter (since pretty much everything in the city is below you).

https://withinstrikingdistance.wordpress.com/2013/09/14/field-report-t...

Cheers.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: Observation decks in Tokyo 2016/6/18 13:32
I saw a lot of tripods at Seaside Top, but I also saw signs saying you need permission to use a tripod. I don't know if everyone there applied for permission or if they simply don't enforce that rule.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Observation decks in Tokyo 2016/6/19 09:53
The Sky Tree is the Big Kahuna - but you'll pay dearly for it. If money is a factor, then see this:

http://supermerlion.com/10-free-tokyo-city-views/
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Observation decks in Tokyo 2016/6/19 10:14
Have to agree with John B digs Japan's post: especially at this time of the year you won't be able to see too many other Tokyo landmarks from Sky Tree since it is further away from the centre. I would choose Tokyo Tower over Sky Tree, and from the free observatories, my favourite one is the Dentsu Building in Shiodome.
by hikooki rate this post as useful

Re: Observation decks in Tokyo 2016/6/19 19:54
Those three places you listed are very nice observation decks and Ifm sure you will enjoy views from there. However, I strongly recommend having breakfast buffet at Skybanket at The Prince Park Tower near by Tokyo tower. Your will have good breakfast and the best city view in Tokyo.

Another recommendation is the top of Tokyo metropolitan govenment. Itfs free observation deck and nice view as well. however, to get there is little bit complicative.
by Shin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Observation decks in Tokyo 2016/6/19 20:24
Thank you a lot!! But... the ILink Tower worth a visit?
by Piuma rate this post as useful

reply to this thread