Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suggestion for family with a 6 years old girl 2016/6/23 21:48
We are 5 people (2 couples of adults and a 6 years old girl). What can you suggest us how to spend 15 days in Japan in October, doing mostly Kid programs? We want to go to Disney Sea and maybe Disneyland in Tokyo, and Universal in Osaka, but she loves Kitty. Where is Kitty Land? Tokyo or Miyazaki-ken? Any suggestion is welcome!!!! Thank you very much!!!!!!
by Brazilian tourist (guest)  

Re: Suggestion for family with a 6 years old girl 2016/6/24 12:11
Places my 6yr old likes-

Kidzania
Disneyland and Disney Sea
Odaiba
Lego Discovery Centre
Gardens- feeding koi and turtles
Parks to play with other children
Animal cafes- owl, rabbit, cat.
Ueno Zoo
Science Centre at Ueno Park

When you say Kitty do you mean Hello Kitty- like Sanrio Puroland?
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestion for family with a 6 years old girl 2016/6/24 15:13
There's a big toy store in Harajuku apparently that we're planning on going to early Jul too. Not quite sure where it is though... Googling...
by Matt1969 rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestion for family with a 6 years old girl 2016/6/24 16:17
Do you mean Kiddyland?

It's on the main drag at Harajuku- and signs are up directing you to it.

It's a great store don't get me wrong - but don't take a pram there- too many people and too squishy aisles.

However, if you want your toys cheaper and delivered to your hotel while you spend the day enjoying the sites, you can't beat Amazon.jp for price and service.
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestion for family with a 6 years old girl 2016/6/24 16:26
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestion for family with a 6 years old girl 2016/6/24 19:38
Thank you very much for all the answers . Yes, when I wrote Kitty, is "Hallo Kitty". Thank you very much indeed for the site of "Sanrio Pureland" and for every other people answered to me!!!!!

by Brazilian Tourist (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestion for family with a 6 years old girl 2016/6/24 21:08
There is also Sanrio Harmonyland, on the southern large island of Kyushu. It is in the city of Oita, which is near Beppu. Here is an English link:

http://www.harmonyland.jp/english/harmony/harmony.html

I do not know if you were planning to go to Kyushu, like go to Nagasaki or Beppu. I would think that the Hells of Beppu would also interest a 6 year old, along with the Aquarium and Monkey park. Beppu is very close to Oita. A link to Beppu:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4700.html

I hope this helps.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestion for family with a 6 years old girl 2016/6/24 22:23
Our 6 yr old girl has been to Japan on holiday 3 times (first time at age 3).

She LOVES Japan. Her favourite things are:

- onsens. She absolutely adores having a hot spring bath. All it takes to make her get really excited is if we tell her we're staying at an onsen ryokan. And once we're there, she is constantly asking "can we go for a bath now?", "can we go for another bath now?"

- collecting gotochi Kittys (the Kitty phone charms that you can get in different towns/regions. Each place has some thing(s) it is famous for, and you generally find a Kitty themed along those lines. E.g. in Hokkaido they are famous for potatoes and sweetcorn, so you find Kitty charms where Kitty is a cob of corn, or a potato.) They cost 600 Yen or so, iirc, and she will happily trek all over with us and do some more grown-up sightseeing as long as there's the promise of a Kitty at the end of it. We give her some cash of her own, and then she has to do some counting, and learn a few ("please" and "thank you") words. (On that note, we found Kiddyland rather poor in terms of selection. You get something sort of as good in the toy dept of a big department store.)

- Japanese food. Especially this last time, at 6, she loved the food. Kaiten sushi is amazing for her ("robot food"). And if all else fails, there's always tempura or katsu. And many places will do super-cute children's meals.

- collecting all the amazing admission tickets, leaflets, etc and making a scrapbook-diary as we travel between towns. Admission tickets in Japan are typically lovely, with great colourful designs and photos. With glue, scissors,pens (see below) and a blank book, she was as happy as anything being our official family record-keeper.

- Japanese stationery stores. For fun things like sushi-shaped erasers, origami paper, and a great selection of colouring pens.

- Miraikan and the kids' science museum in Tokyo. Seeing Asimo was a highlight of her last trip.

- some of the modern art that Japan has in abundance. She loved Benesse/Naoshima, and also the wacky stuff at the C21st museum in Kanazawa.

- food markets.

- the TOTO factory museum, and Japanese washlet toilets in general. She finds the whole experience of suing them hilarious and fascinating.

- the beaches (and the beef) on Ishigaki.

- being made a huge fuss of by so many people. We've always found that travelling with a child in Japan brings out so much kindness in people. Especially if she can say a handful of simple words.

- train journeys, especially bullet trains. If you can turn them into quality family time (books, a few treats and snacks, games, scrapbooking), they can become really good points of the holiday instead of the dull time it takes to get from A to B.

Finding parks and playgrounds can be difficult (but if you ask, then people will generally help you), and depending on when you visit (e.g. if it's school term time in Japan), there may not be many other children around during the week, so it might be hard for her to play with others of her own age (and of course there's a certain element of language barrier), but on the other hand she gets lots of concentrated time with her parents, so (hopefully!) that's a good thing.

We've never been to Disney, and she's never complained about that. I thought of going to Puroland, but when you look at it, it's not really all that exciting, imho.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestion for family with a 6 years old girl 2016/6/25 17:03
I may have read your question incorrectly. But I read it as 4x adults and 1x 6yo and the trip is being planned around the 6yo?

I'm a parent and I don't think that is even cool. Yes kids should have fun. But being a 6yo, they will love anything you do. Sure if they have an interest, try to follow up on it. But I would plan the whole trip around it.

Disneyland and places like at are a dime a dozen. Go do the only-in=Japan things. The 6yo will love them also.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestion for family with a 6 years old girl 2016/6/28 22:39
I want to thank for everybody posted giving so many good suggestions to my trip. They are all very useful tips, and be sure I will follow every suggestion given. Thank you very much again!!!!!!
by Brazilian guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread