Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Imperial Palace East Gardens 2016/6/26 19:15
I read on the site that Imperial Palace East Gardens " are a part of the inner palace area and are open to the public". So this means that is part of the Imperial Palace tour that needs advance booking or is it a separate thing?
by LeonGarcia  

Re: Imperial Palace East Gardens 2016/6/28 09:44
Separate. There is an entry gate and free admission - you get a token that you return so they know if anyone is in the grounds at the end of the day.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Imperial Palace East Gardens 2016/6/28 19:47
Regarding tours of the Imperial Palace, this recent development might be of interest to you:

http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e-event/toujitsu-sankan-start.html

If you're only planning to see the East Garden...

https://animeaffairs.wordpress.com/2009/04/21/japan-2009-day-2-report-...

...then no prior arrangements are required.

Cheers.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: Imperial Palace East Gardens 2016/6/28 21:47
About Imperial Palace, I'm not interested in a tour inside because it seems not worthy for me. What do you think?
Where can I find pics of what is included in the tour?
by LeonGarcia rate this post as useful

Re: Imperial Palace East Gardens 2016/6/29 09:27
If you are not interested, why go? It (a view of the palace/moat wall) is not a particularly good tourist spot (brutal truth), but something easily added to a bus tour (maybe because they have parking).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Imperial Palace East Gardens 2016/6/29 15:29
The tour goes into the heart, the west part of the Imperial Place, the prohibited area where the Emperor lives and works. The east garden, the former Edo castle, is in the east and opens to the general public.
by Luisjp rate this post as useful

Re: Imperial Palace East Gardens 2016/6/29 15:30
by Luisjp rate this post as useful

Re: Imperial Palace East Gardens 2016/6/29 20:31
Where can I find pics of what is included in the tour?

This is a rather old post I wrote about my experience:

https://animeaffairs.wordpress.com/2009/04/13/japan-2009-day-2-report-...

Truth be told, I wouldn't recommend the tour to most casual visitors because there's not all that much to see. You're not allowed inside any of the palace buildings, which are themselves pretty drab and modern on the outside. I personally thought it was well worth my time (indeed I might go again at some point), but that's because I have a rather obsessive interest in Japanese castle architecture - there are a number of features of the former Edo Castle that are best appreciated from within the restricted area. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if many other people might find the experience a trifle boring.

Cheers.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

reply to this thread