Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ryokan in Nikko for solo Female traveller 2016/6/30 13:47
Hi, I'm planning my trip to Tokyo in mid-April next year, and I'm thinking of staying overnight for 1 night in Nikko, either in the Lake Chuzenji area or Kinugawa Onsen area, to enjoy an authentic ryokan experience.

I've read about how difficult it is to get a decently priced ryokan for 1 traveler complete with hot spring baths and meals, and as I'm checking out various ryokan websites, I can see that it is true. I've checked both the ryokan's official websites and various international web booking platforms.

The only ryokan that's closest to my requirements is Onsen Hotel Kinugawa. It has a room plan for a single traveler with dinner buffet and breakfast buffet offering over 70 types of Japanese and western dishes according to the website (kaiseki cuisine is only for 2 people and above alas but that was expected). It costs about 20,000 yen for 1 person. Is this excessive? My budget was around 15,000 yen but if this is supposed to be a reasonable price, then I don't mind shelling out that money. I aim to spend at least a few hours in the spring baths.

I'd like to see if anyone here has other recommendations. To sum up, here are my preferences:

- will accept solo traveller
- half-board (kaiseki preferred but I know it's a tall order)
- Budget 15000 yen one night, flexible.
- preferably in Lake Chuzenji area, but Kinugawa onsen area is ok too.
- convenient commute
- some English would be nice, but I'm familiar with onsen etiquette so it's not really a must.

Alternatively, I am also going to Lake Kawaguchiko and considering Hakone, so if there are better onsens in those places that suit my criteria, feel free to recommend them. I'd alter my itinerary accordingly.

Thanks in advance!
by hanamitsuki  

Re: Ryokan in Nikko for solo Female traveller 2016/6/30 14:16
For accomodations prices, it is important to know the exact date.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Ryokan in Nikko for solo Female traveller 2016/6/30 14:25
Hi, thanks for replying!

I didn't provide my exact dates because all the ryokan websites I've checked out only have reservations up to around Sep or Oct this year. The 20,000 yen room price I got is based on September 2016 which isn't anywhere near my travel date - mid-april next year before golden week, not sure of the exact date yet but i'll avoid a weekend.

In any case, the cost of the room isn't my greatest concern. I'm having more difficulties just finding a ryokan in my preferred areas that will accept solo travellers at all.
by hanamitsuki rate this post as useful

Re: Ryokan in Nikko for solo Female traveller 2016/6/30 14:33
Yes, it seems that there are not many hotels in the area which allow single guests; I find that somewhat surprising. YUou'll probably have better luck in some other area, though the Fuji Five Lakes and Hakone might be very similar since they are also very touristy areas.

Re: Ryokan in Nikko for solo Female traveller 2016/6/30 15:01
if it comes to ryokans in many cases there is no difference weather you book for a single person or for two: they simply sell rooms for a certain price.

some search engines dont support this and therefore will not show up any room, if you search for 1 person since all rooms are marked as being for two persons. therefore try altering your search for two persons and in many cases you will see that you dont have to pay more. just inform then the ryokan, that you will come alown, so that they dont preprare dinner for two.

by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Ryokan in Nikko for solo Female traveller 2016/6/30 15:27
That is absolutely false. If the hotel (or ryokan or whatever you want to call it) accepts booking for one person, this will be reflected in whatever booking platform you use.

Re: Ryokan in Nikko for solo Female traveller 2016/6/30 15:46
@ Firas: Yea I'm willing to consider Ryokan in less touristy places too (I gotta do more research on this) but if they're very out of the way and Japanese only, that might also be a bit of a problem ^^; I can definitely understand why they won't cater to single guests (unless these guests are willing to pay for the price of 2...) but considering the growing popularity of solo travel, I do hope that sometime in the near future they can take this into consideration.

I think what Glimpigumpi means is to select the option for the least number of people possible i.e. 2 in this case, and make the full payment for 2, even though it's just me. So technically, I could still get the room, and if I don't want to have to eat for 2 people, I could tell the ryokan not to prepare an additional meal. It definitely would work, but I would need really deep pockets lol

Re: Ryokan in Nikko for solo Female traveller 2016/6/30 17:03
hmm... strange

usually what i do is email the ryokan if they can accommodate a solo traveler.
Did this twice only, so my information is limited, and it was in Noboribetsu onsen (about as much a tourist destination as any other) and Kii Katsura (not as so). Both hotels gave a cheaper price, though not half price of two (guess the rooms are made for two or more).

I agree with using a different hotel. A pal of mine did Kusatsu solo and managed to get solo lodging too.

The only other option, if you want to do Nikko and the hotels/Nikko Tourist Information Center doesn't reply your email, is to ... find another female to share the room. Maybe try posting on this website...?
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ryokan in Nikko for solo Female traveller 2016/6/30 19:02
@jh: I see. I haven't actually tried emailing the ryokans (had some difficulty locating the email adds before realising that most of them have it at the bottom of their websites). I will email them to ask. Thanks! This gives me a little more hope.

I think it'll be challenging to find someone to specifically fill for 1 night, plus I'm not very sociable and have difficulty warming up to strangers. I'll shop around for more ryokans and send emails.

Re: Ryokan in Nikko for solo Female traveller 2016/6/30 21:43
15k for a single guest with kaiseki dinner in a tourist area is very, very tough. IMO 20k is expected. I paid more at Kinosaki Onsen.

I was in a similar situation. There are very less option for single traveller and not even a plan in the booking system. Usually I would visit the ryokan's website. If it provides English page, I will mail them to ask for single occupancy. That was how I got the one at Kinosaki. I heard mid week (Tuesday-Wednesday) is low season of the week so there is chance for available room available.

Good luck!
by Moccy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ryokan in Nikko for solo Female traveller 2016/7/17 23:50
Wherever you stay, make sure you can get dinner somewhere. We stayed several nights in Nikko, which was a mistake ... everything closes at 5 pm, when all the tourists head back to the train station, with only a few sketchy restaurants remaining open.
by PA9 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread