Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Daisetsuzan National Park Hiking 2016/7/1 08:38
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I (age 26-27) will be travelling to Japan Sept 10 to Oct 10 and were hoping to visit Hokkaido for a few days (3-4 days) to explore the Daisetsuzan National Park. We chose this place for the hikes, nature, and wildlife.
However I haven't been able to find too much info about short hikes (few hours or day hikes) but mainly multi-day hikes, which we are not interested in.

Is the Daisetsuzan National Park the best park for those activities (short hikes, nature, and wildlife)? Or do you suggest some other places in Hokkaido (or even in other prefectures)?

I'd love to find more info about the hikes at the park and hopefully accommodations near/inside the park.

Thanks for you help.
by DiegoA89  

Re: Daisetsuzan National Park Hiking 2016/7/1 12:55
See whether the following suggestions on another forum is of use.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g294232-i525-k9641642-Hokkaido_or...

by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Daisetsuzan National Park Hiking 2016/7/5 08:26
Some good info here,

Thanks!
by DiegoA89 rate this post as useful

Re: Daisetsuzan National Park Hiking 2016/7/5 10:46
Are you planning to rent a car or use public transport?
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Daisetsuzan National Park Hiking 2016/7/6 08:54
I was thinking of renting a car because I've read that the public transit in that area isn't so good.

Do you suggest otherwise?

Thanks
by DiegoA89 rate this post as useful

Re: Daisetsuzan National Park Hiking 2016/7/6 09:30
If you are going to Ginsendai and Daisetsu Kogen Onsen during the peak autumn season, note that you canft drive directly to those places. You have to park your car at a designated car park and take a shuttle bus.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Daisetsuzan National Park Hiking 2016/7/6 15:03
Awesome, a car is best. That way you can explore easier and aren't restricted too much.

Asahidake would be a good choice, staying in Asahidake onsen if you can. You may want to look at Shiretoko Peninsula or Akan National Park as further places to visit. If you're interested in seeing bears, I highly recommend the Sahoro Bear Park http://www.sahoro.co.jp/language/english/green/bear/bear.html

We stayed at Grand Hotel Asahidake (a little run down but good value and good size Japanese style room. Meals were very good), Hotel Masyu (Near Lake Masshu, Akan; inexpensive, big Japanese style room), Choyo Resort Sounkyou Onsen (great onsen, very nice rooms, food surprisingly average). Have a look at sites like www.japanican.com, rakuten, Jalan and the usual western booking sites.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Daisetsuzan National Park Hiking 2016/7/7 16:06
Daisetsuzan is great for single-day hikes, so don't be put off if you don't have time for the full 5-day N-S traverse. Here are a few that spring to mind:

1. Asahidake (ˆฎŠx) from the ropeway station on the east side (approx 3hrs up, 1.5hrs down).

2. Kurodake (•Šx) from Sounkyo.

3. Tomuraushi (ƒgƒ€ƒ‰ƒEƒVŽR) from the trailhead to the southwest... Car definitely needed to access this one.

4. Tokachidake (\ŸŠx) from the trailhead at Bogakudai... Car definitely needed for this one.

You'll get far more out of the area with a rental car, which can be easily picked up in Asahikawa. Map number 3 in the "Yama-to-kougen-chizu" map series will cover all of these hikes, and is available in most large bookshops in Japan.

Have a great trip!

Tony

("10 Classic Alpine Climbs of Japan" on Amazon - http://amzn.to/1U6ydqx)
by TonyGrant rate this post as useful

reply to this thread