Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

1,5 days in Kyoto - need help with my plan 2016/7/3 21:15
Hi =)

I will travel to Kyoto from Tokyo on July 23, stay two nights and will leave on July 25 in the morning (I want to visit Magome/Tsumago on my way back to Tokyo).
I have a few places I would love to visit, but I need a bit of help/advice if my plan is realistically possible. Ah, and I don't really care about shopping - I would love to visit Nishiki Market during opening hours, but mostly, I'm in Kyoto to experience the historical sights, architecture and for taking a few good photos :)

23. July
I will arrive at Kyoto Station at about 16:30 from Tokyo and planned this walking route: https://goo.gl/vhLoIj (link takes you to google maps)
I have planned walking through Nikishi Market, following the roads to Shirakawa Minari Dori (I read that it is a great and short street for taking photos). Next thing on my list is Yasaka - not for a long stay, mostly passing through, since my hostel is only a street further south. I'll drop of my backpack and walk Ishibe Alley to Ninenzaka. After having a look around (I guess all the shops will be closed by then?) I will return to my hostel south of Yasaka to get a full night's rest.

24. July
This day is going to start early: I want to visit Fushimi Inari (getting there by train will take about 30min) and take a walk among the Torii - not to the top, just enough to still enjoy the colors and take a few photographs, maybe get a small red Torii from the suvenir stalls. I guess it will take about one or two hours?
Next on my list is the Gion-Matsuri procession around Nishiki Market. I'm not sure where I will be able to get a good spot to stand and take some photographs, so I have no clue how much time I should plan for this part =/ It's going to end around 11:30 am, as far as I know.
After this, I have a few ideas of what I want to do, but I don't know which order would be best suited:
- Kyomizudera: I want to take my time for this and see its sights. But I guess it will be rather crowded after the Gion Matsuri? Would it be a good idea to go there straight after the procession? Before/After I would love to walk through Higashiyama.
- Ginkakuji: I read about its gardens and am curious. Maybe it's possible to take the philosopher's path to Nanzenji afterwards?
I'll stay the night in the hostel.

Well... Yeah, that's my plan so far. Do you think this is possible? I'm not sure if I should put Fushimi Inari early on the 24th or late on the 23rd and as posted, and I am not sure in which order I should visit Ginkakuji, Nanzenji and Kyomizudera.

I would be happy if someone could help me and maybe post his/her experiences about these places :)!
by Mahunreah  

Re: 1,5 days in Kyoto - need help with my plan 2016/7/4 12:29
It look fine. The July 24 day, after Higashiyama, I doubt you'll have time for the other listed stuff. Fishimi Inari, Gion , Kiyomizudera and Higashiyama will take up all of the day.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: 1,5 days in Kyoto - need help with my plan 2016/7/4 16:27
Fushimi Inari will only take one to two hours if you are
1. Planning to go to the top
2. Are a professional photographer

I would do Kiyomizudera last as it is near your hostel.

Doing the Silver Pavillion, philosopher's path and nanzenji would take about 3 hours. All in all, I find Arashiyama or Ryoanji+Kinkakuji+Myoshinji to be more interesting and more worth your time. Especially if you are into photography.
by Jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1,5 days in Kyoto - need help with my plan 2016/7/5 17:50
Ah, thank you for your help =)!

I wanted to visit the bamboo grove, but it's just not in the right part of the city =/ I substitute it with Hokokuji in Kamakura, though, so I will have seen at least one bamboo grove during my travels :)
by Mahunreah rate this post as useful

reply to this thread