Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

shinkansen from Kagoshima to Osaka 2016/7/4 17:22
Hi,

I will be travelling in Japan mainly in Kyushu area with 3-day JR Kyushu rail pass.

On the 3rd day of the JR-pass, I am planning to travel from Kagoshima to Osaka with the shinkansen. I know that the route from Kagoshima to Fukuoka (or Kita-kyushu?) is covered by JR Kyushu Rail Pass, but may I know how should I pay the additional fee for travelling to Osaka ? I am not sure if I still have to pay the full-fare from Kagsohima to Osaka

thank you for your advice !
by dodonizer  

Re: shinkansen from Kagoshima to Osaka 2016/7/4 18:06
Just buy a ticket from Hakata to whatever your destination station is.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: shinkansen from Kagoshima to Osaka 2016/7/4 20:24
hi Firas,

thank you for your reply. So when buying the ticket from Kagoshima station, can I specify that the Kagoshima-Hakata trip uses the JR Kyushu Pass rail, but the Hakata-Osaka trip uses my own money , while using the same Sakura train(not stepping out in Hakata) ?

thank you for your help.
by dodonizer rate this post as useful

Re: shinkansen from Kagoshima to Osaka 2016/7/4 20:35
What do you not understand in "buy a ticket from Hakata"? Just go to the ticket counter or a ticket machine, and buy a ticket from Hakata to Osaka.

Re: shinkansen from Kagoshima to Osaka 2016/7/4 20:49
Hi Firas,

from Kagoshima-chuo to Shin-Osaka, I only need to take 1 train Shinkansen Sakura. To book a seat in the shinkansen, I need to present my JR Kyushu pass to Midori no Mado Guchi in Kagoshima-chuo.

I find it rather stupid if I have to change seats in the same train just because I buy a separate train ticket from Hakata to Osaka, from ticket machine or ticket office. But then again, I do not often travel to Japan, so your condescending tone would only mean you are very experienced in this kind of simple matter, therefore, do enlighten me.

I will make my question simpler: can I pay the additional fee for the ticket from Hakata to Osaka in Kagoshima-chuo Midori no Mado Guchi?

thank you for your kind contribution.
by dodonizer rate this post as useful

Re: shinkansen from Kagoshima to Osaka 2016/7/4 20:50
Just buy a ticket form Hakata to Shin-Osaka. Of course, you can buy this ticket at Kagoshima-Chuo station, or indeed at any other JR station in Japan.

Re: shinkansen from Kagoshima to Osaka 2016/7/4 20:56
And about "changing seats", I don't see why you think you would have to. I suppose you plan to use reserved seats? Then just ask for the same seat when you get your reserved seat tickets for Kagoshima-Chuo to Hakata (with the pass) and from Hakata to Shin-Osaka (without).

Re: shinkansen from Kagoshima to Osaka 2016/7/4 21:29
Go to the counter at Kagoshima. Show them your pass and tell them that you want to go to Osaka on the train departing at xx:yy.

They will charge you for the portion of your journey which is not covered by the pass, and will sit you in the same seat for the entire journey (unless there's some rare reason why the same seat is not available all the way through, in which case the reason would be nothing to do with you having a pass or not).
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: shinkansen from Kagoshima to Osaka 2016/7/4 21:52
They will charge you for the portion of your journey which is not covered by the pass{

... and give you a ticket for it. It is exactly the same thing.

Re: shinkansen from Kagoshima to Osaka 2016/7/4 22:45
Is there any reason you are not considering the nationwide 7 Day Japan Rail Pass (Y29,110) other than it is not valid on Nozomi or Mizuho?

It cost you at least Y30,000 with your current arrangement as ticket with reserved seat from Hakata to Osaka is Y15,000 on Sakura or Y15,310 on Nozomi/Mizuho.
by YC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: shinkansen from Kagoshima to Osaka 2016/7/5 00:29
What do you not understand in "buy a ticket from Hakata"? Just go to the ticket counter or a ticket machine, and buy a ticket from Hakata to Osaka.

Just try to ignore Firas's attitude. His MO is to give technically correct, but insufficient answers and then get all worked up when asked for clarification. It's usually good advice, but can be quite unpleasant to extract.

To answer your question simply, make your reservations and purchase your ticket at the same time at Kagoshima-Chuo and the ticket agent will be able to put you in the same seat for the entire journey. Better yet, YC's advise about the nationwide pass may be even simpler and cheaper if you will be doing any other rail travel beyond what you have already described.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: shinkansen from Kagoshima to Osaka 2016/7/5 04:48
thank you all for your help and advice, I will take the different ideas into consideration.
by dodonizer (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: shinkansen from Kagoshima to Osaka 2016/7/5 06:36
Just buy the ticket from Kagoshima-Chuo. They will charge you the balance that is not cover by the pass.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread