Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to get from Osaka Minami area to Kyoto? 2016/7/8 01:53
Hi, I'm going to stay in a hotel next to Osaka-Uehommachi Station on 26 July 2016 (first time in Japan). I wish to go with my family to Saga Arashiyama Station to visit the bamboo forest nearby.

Firstly, I'm confused by the so-many 'Namba' stations .... JR Namba, Osaka Namba Station (subway??) and Namba Kansai Station. So if you're replying to my question, would greatly appreciate it if you could be clear with the name (exactly which 'Namba' station you're referring to).

Q1) How to travel from my hotel to Saga Arashiyama Sation to visit the bamboo forest? What card/ticket should I use? Approximately how long would it take?

Q2) How to travel from my hotel to Nishiki Market? What card/ticket to use? Approximately how long would it take? How to return to my hotel too.

Would really appreciate if you could be a little more detailed in your explanation (according to each of my question parts) as I can get very confused.

Thank you in advance ... from my family.
by Ron (guest)  

Re: How to get from Osaka Minami area to Kyoto? 2016/7/8 13:16
Sorry but you you'd be able to get an answer using google maps.

Google your closest station, click get directions and the Arashiyama area. It will provide you with many options for routes. If is about 30 seconds work. Below is an example, you can do the rest of your proposed routes.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Osaka-Uehommachi/Arashiyama+Station...

For the small distances you are traveling. I would just use a IC card. No passes required.

by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: How to get from Osaka Minami area to Kyoto? 2016/7/9 00:11
Hi hakata14, thank you for your email. Yes, you're correct, I can actually see the different options of travel using Google Maps. Very useful.

Two more questions if you don't mind.

Q1)
For the first location (Arashiyama), if I choose the first option provided by the Google Maps link you gave, I noticed that 'Kintetsu-Osaka Line', 'Osaka Loop Line', 'Tokaido-Sanyo Line' and 'San-In Line' are run by JR and it costs \1,310. That would be \2,620 for a rounded-trip for one person.

Can I use the Kansai Area Pass (1 day) by JR West Company which costs \2,200 for one person (if bought abroad)?

For 2 reasons: (R1) I can save \400 a person times number of family members and (R2) I can just tap the same card (unlimited use) at the different stations along the way without having the need to ask around to buy a new ticket (and fumble with the money) each time I change train.

Q2)
The 2nd journey to Nishiki Market involves different train operators/lines. Can I use the ICOCA on these different operators/lines? (or only some of them)

Please kindly advise. Thanks.
by Ron (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to get from Osaka Minami area to Kyoto? 2016/7/9 01:47
The Kansai Area Pass of JR West is only valid on JR lines. The nearest JR station form Osaka-Uehonmachi is Tsuruhashi.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: How to get from Osaka Minami area to Kyoto? 2016/7/9 04:56
Do not use an option that uses a JR line. You can see the blue JR symbol in the options quite clearly.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: How to get from Osaka Minami area to Kyoto? 2016/7/9 05:10
If you start from Tanimachikyuchome and end up with Arashiyama (Hankyu), it will take around 70 min and cost 610 yen one way.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=TANIMACHIKYUCHO...
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: How to get from Osaka Minami area to Kyoto? 2016/7/10 15:59
Thank you so much for all your replies.

'hyperdia' is a good trip planner too.

To summarise:
1) There's no need for me to buy the Kansai Area Pass or use the JR line. I can also use the options shown in 'hyperdia' for this trip to Arashiyama as it's even cheaper.

2) As suggested by hakata14 earlier, I could also buy the stored-value card (ICOCA) at the first station instead of buying new tickets at every stations along the way. (I don't want the hassle of changing money to buy tickets each time. Moreover, I can get a refund when I return the ICOCA card to the station.)

Thank you again for all the help offered by you guys. (smile)
by Ron (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread