Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR pass or combination of different passes 2016/7/15 01:18
Hi,
I will be travelling to japan for 8 days end of the year, flying in and out via Narita.
This is my itinerary :
1st 4 days : arrive narita around 11am. accomodation in osaka. Visit osaka-kyoto-nara
5th - 6th day : accomodation in hamamatsu. Visiting friend
7th - 8th day : accomodation in ueno. Visit tokyo area.
9th day : fly out via narita.
Looking for some advices :
1) planning to get japan rail pass. However, wondering is it more economical to get various different passes ? Like combination of jr east pass + some other train passes.
2) what's the fastest way to get to osaka from narita using jr pass.
is skyliner faster or the narita express ?
3) does any one know how to access nezuminocho at hamamatsu from hamamatsu station ? Tried google maps, only option of by cr or by foot ( which is 1hr walk).

Thanks for the help.
by June (guest)  

Re: JR pass or combination of different passes 2016/7/15 10:27
Nezuminocho is a residential area in Hamamatsu, so you are probably visiting somebody, and you should ask them how to go there.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass or combination of different passes 2016/7/15 10:34
Yes it is residential area. Just thought of having a rough idea how to get there without bothering them. Will check then.
by June (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass or combination of different passes 2016/7/15 10:36
1) I suggest you use Hyperdia (hyperdia.com/en) to work out the cost of separate train trips, and then decide if a JR Pass is worth it. We don't know what you'll be doing around Osaka/Kyoto, so we don't know if a regional pass will pay off. Typically, a 7-day JR Pass comes close to paying off with a round trip between Tokyo and the Kansai area, which you are doing. Combined with travel to or from Narita Airport (via Narita Express), the JR Pass should be cost-effective.

2) You know Osaka is 2.5+ hours away from Tokyo, right? You can't just catch the Skyliner or Narita Express to Osaka! If you buy a JR Pass, you should take the Narita Express as that is a JR train (Skyliner is run by Keisei). Get off the Narita Express at Shinagawa or Tokyo Station, and catch a shinkansen from either of those stations to Shin-Osaka Station.

3) Doesn't look well-connected by public transport using Google Maps. Google Maps is fairly good with Japanese public transport directions, so if it's not saying it's an option you might need to walk or take a taxi.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass or combination of different passes 2016/7/15 10:58
Doesn't look well-connected by public transport using Google Maps.

Google Maps does not know about city buses in smaller cities, which are the primary mode of transportation.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass or combination of different passes 2016/7/15 11:48
Looks like it is more straight forward to go ahead with a Jr pass. I'll do that. Wanted to visit fushimi inari-taisha and uji in Kyoto, nara park and todai ji in nara. Thinking of either kobe or kayabuki no Sato in Miyama.

Ya, I was aware of the distance from Tokyo to Osaka. I did a check on hyperdia, there are so many different route and i didnt see one that shows a straight forward NEX to Tokyo to Shin Osaka. Maybe i did som ething wrong.
I was not able to do a fly in to Osaka and out from Narita otherwise it will be less time consuming on travel. 😊

As for the residential area in hamamatsu, relieved to know that there should be city buses available. Just in case my daughter's friend's parent is unable to pick us from the hotel.

Appreciate all the advice.

Re: JR pass or combination of different passes 2016/7/15 12:06
Oh ya btw, the reason i asked regarding the combination of passes.. had wanted to know should i buy a nation wide jr pass or a jr region passs which is cheaper. 😊

Re: JR pass or combination of different passes 2016/7/15 12:39
Hyperdia tends to show the fastest routes, rather than the most convenient ones. That might be why you had the issue.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass or combination of different passes 2016/7/15 13:53
If you use the JR pass starting on your 1st day (from Narita to Osaka) the day you return to Tokyo (day 7) is the last day you can use it. You will have to pay for the trip to Narita airport separately. Obviously catch the NEX in from the airport but return by whichever means you like. Personally I prefer the Skyliner but it's up to you.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass or combination of different passes 2016/7/15 13:58
Yes it was my plan to commute via skyliner on the last day to the airport. I was planning to book advance ticket online 1 month prior because I happen to hit the peak travel date when most Japanese travel home for new year celebration.

reply to this thread