Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Maximizing JR and Hakone Pass 2016/7/27 23:40
My family and I have plans to start from Tokyo (staying a few nights to explore and to let the kids get time adjusted), then to Kyoto (staying 6 nights), then onto Hakone (1 night) and then finally back to Tokyo. If we initiate my JR pass the day we leave for Kyoto from Tokyo, our last day for the pass will only get us to Hakone. Can we buy the Hakone Pass when we're in Tokyo but not use it until we're in Hakone? Does it make sense financially if we will be using the Hakone Pass for the loop but obvious for just one way back to Tokyo?

Thank you all for your assistance. First time going to Japan and a lot to consider to save some money here and there.
by IYN  

Re: Maximizing JR and Hakone Pass 2016/7/28 09:38
It is not possible to go to Hakone by JR. You can take a Shinkansen to Odawara and buy the Hakone pass there.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Maximizing JR and Hakone Pass 2016/7/28 10:02
If you are only going tokyo-kyoto and kyoto-odawara, then a JR pass is probably not worth it.

But we do not know your schedule/itinerary in any way. Unless you are doing day trips to hiroshima and/or himeji by shinkansen, then it might pay itself off.

I'd suggest using http://www.hyperdia.com/en/ to calculate your fares. Then decide if a pass is suitable.

For you question regard Hakone. Yes you could use a JR pass to get to Odawarra, then buy the 4000 yen Hakone free pass for train/bus/boat rides in the area. Then just pay seperately for shinkansen or local train back to Tokyo.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maximizing JR and Hakone Pass 2016/7/28 10:13
Does it make sense financially if we will be using the Hakone Pass for the loop but obvious for just one way back to Tokyo?

To answer this question, you would have to compare:

The cost of the ticket from Odawara to Hakone proper, plus any additional transportation you'd like to use while in Hakone (including train, cablecars, ropeways, boats and buses), plus the bus or train from Hakone to Tokyo.

vs.

The cost of a Hakone Free Pass.

The former can be done cheaper than the latter. But then again, you could go crazy in Hakone and do the Round Course 3 times or whatever.
by Faiyez rate this post as useful

Re: Maximizing JR and Hakone Pass 2016/7/29 06:46
First off, thank you to those who replied.

Additional questions/comments....

1) I did check hyperdia and going to tokyo to kyoto to odawara plus a couple of side trips from kyoto equate to the same amount that I would pay for the pass. I thought it would still benefit since I may take the JR trains when I'm IN kyoto....how ever minor that saving may be. Am I correct in thinking that? My stays are fixed at each of the cities so I don't have much flexibility with when I start to use the rail pass.

2) To be more specific about my question on the Hakone pass, I was wondering if I would be saving much money if I buy the Hakone pass when in Shinjuku Tokyo but not use it until I'm in Odawara. I think I'll be doing the 'classic' round hoping on the rail, cable car, boat ride, etc. just once. With that assumption and assuming I can use the Hakone Pass purchased from Tokyo but using it for the loop and just the return leg from Odawara back to Shinjuku, does it make sense to buy or just pay as I go? Perhaps the savings is minimal again but thought I'll ask as I'm not sure how much transportation cost in local Hakone.

Thank you all again!
by IYN rate this post as useful

Re: Maximizing JR and Hakone Pass 2016/7/29 06:49
One last point with regards to getting the JR Pass in advance even though price is equivalent....thought I'll save time having it instead of having to go to the ticket office every time to purchase individual train tickets. Wrong thinking?

Thanks!

Re: Maximizing JR and Hakone Pass 2016/7/29 07:08
Again it is very difficult to answer because we do not know you movements for 80% of you itinerary.

You shinkansen trips (Tokyo-Kyoto, Kyoto-Odawara)with full price reserved seating costs 26,080 yen. How did you calculate the other 3,000 yen or more to make the pass viable?

Re: Maximizing JR and Hakone Pass 2016/7/29 07:27
For the Hakone Area Pass, just buy the option from Odawara. 4000 yen for the 2 day option, 4500 for 3 days. Then 880 yen separately on Odakyu Railways Odawara to Shinjuku Station. Add 200 yen if you wanna go Shinjuku to Tokyo Stations.

Re: Maximizing JR and Hakone Pass 2016/8/2 11:22
Wow...I guess I didn't scroll down far enough to see the other train option from Odawara to Shinjuku that only costs 880Y. Even thought it'll take a bit longer, it's definitely a more economical way to get back. Thank you so much for your suggestion!

reply to this thread