Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveling to japan for one month may 2017 2016/7/28 01:21
Hello
I need some advice on traveling to japan, me and my other half are planning on going to japan may 2017 for one month for the first time!
How much money would I need to save for spending money/food money for one month I like eating out and trying everything so want to go to places like the kauai monster cafe but also want to try road side food and all japenese foods

We are flying into tokyo & staying in shinjuku (this is my plan so far)

Wanting to go to; fox village (shiroishi)
Pokemon center (tokyo)
Tokyo character Street
J-world
Water city (gujo hachiman)
Harry hedgehog cafe (tokyo)
Owl cafe
Univeral studios (osaka)
Also want to visit temples

Please help I know it's golden week first week of may and I'm fine with busines and waiting, want to experience all that japan offers in the time I have there but not wanting to know how much to save and if I need to turn in to a house hermit while I save for 9 months
by Kayzii  

Re: Traveling to japan for one month may 2017 2016/7/28 09:42
Excluding accomodation and transportation, you can get by with about 5,000 yen per day. An experienced person could go by on half that, but since you are asking that question I wouldn't recommend it for you.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling to japan for one month may 2017 2016/7/28 09:55
As above, 5000 yen a day is reasonable.

Don't lock yourself into a specific area for hotels. It is much cheaper to spend 5 minutes and 120 yen on a train/subway and save 2000 yen a night.

Some Japanese hotels have English websites that you can book directly through and you can save a bucket load.

A month is an awesome amount of time to travel Japan. As for what to do and see. Sit down with your partner and click the destinations tab up the top of this website and go through all the destinations. you'll soon find many things that appeal to you.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling to japan for one month may 2017 2016/7/28 22:28
Thank you for your help! Would that be 5000 yen per person or for two people?
by Kayzii rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling to japan for one month may 2017 2016/7/29 00:21
I would tend to think it's per person.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling to japan for one month may 2017 2016/7/29 08:36
For food see if you can get accomodation with breakfast included. A buffet breakfast will keep you going quite a while. We really liked the Dormy Inn Shibuya breakfast.

Lunch is generally going to set you back somewhere between 1000 to 1500 yen for a lunch set, which can be a decent meal. Dinner is usually more expensive in my experience depending on where you are eating though there is no reason why you couldnt get it at the same range.

That is what you can achieve, not necessarily what you will. Add beer and treats, and I think that you will have to be careful to maintain the cost to 5000 each a day - some days might be less but others might be quite a bit more.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling to japan for one month may 2017 2016/7/29 12:19
Well considering the places you want to go, a month is plenty of time. Think most of us here can breeze through that in less than half a month. Still as a first time traveler, getting around can take some getting used to though by your fifth day you should be a pro.

May is the period of flowers. You may want to theme your plans in such a way if flowers are your thing.

As for transportation costs there are two main types
1. Traveling within cities
2. Traveling between cities

For the former, it is generally cheap. If you are staying at a hostel they may even have a-rent-a-bicycles for free or a nominal sum. Trains and buses one way cost upwards of 100 yen. I've never taken anything that costs more than 400 yen. Taxis are pricey and should only be taken in an emergency. I do not see you using more than 1000 yen per person per day getting around Tokyo or Kyoto or Osaka or any other major city.

Lastly, you can use your own feet. It is easy to navigate the city if you have a map and you could just ask for directions from the friendly locals. Walking two to three stations distance is reasonable for someone in their teens/twenties.

For the getting from city to city, it would naturally cost more. For short distance travels (Kyoto to Uji, Osaka to Nara) it would cost than 1000 yen. However, anything long distance like Tokyo to Kyoto would be a few thousands of yen. To lower cost, getting on a highway express bus (coach) is one way. Another would be to purchase a pass of some sort. We could help you with this once your plans are more firmed up. (As i mentioned you have lots of time but only a few locations.)
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling to japan for one month may 2017 2016/7/29 18:23
I heard that them jr rail passes are really good are they worth getting since I have some long travels from some places?
So how much in pounds would everyone say you needed for two people for everything (food, hotels, spending Money (I spend quiet alot) etc) for the whole 31 days

Thank you for everything so far! You are all really helpful

Re: Traveling to japan for one month may 2017 2016/7/29 18:36
You spend quite a lot? On what? Food? Shopping? everything? What do you mean by a lot? 100 pounds? 1000 pounds? 5000 pounds? Which countries did you spend that in?

The JR Pass would be good for you. But as mentioned, you need to be more explicit on where you are going and when! If you are staying one week each in each region (Tohoku, Kanto, Chubu, Kansai) then you would need a rail pass. It is not just distance traveled but the frequency of travel. If you are not traveling frequently and since you have the time see if the Seishun 18 pass is applicable for your situation.

What is your quality of housing. A hostel? A clean & comfy but small room hotel? A 5 star hotel? An international chain of luxury hotels? Ryokans? Food too, what types? Ramen or a full set Kaiseki Ryori? More info is needed.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling to japan for one month may 2017 2016/7/29 22:15
On everything really, shopping i would usually spend about £150 (uk) if I was going out shopping but In japan some days I might do less/more shopping each day depending on where I am what I am doing.

Food I love going out to eat and would spend about £80 (not wanting to spend the everday) (for 2 people) to go out for a meal.. I want to go to ramen food places and different cafes I really want to go to the kawai monster cafe, kurikoan and maidreamin but I'm not to fussed where I eat as long as I get to try new food mainly wanting to try japenese food not Westen so again I'm not looking to spend loads of food every day if anyone has any suggestions of places that are good please tell me:)

Places I want to go is;
I'm flying into tokyo haneda (if anyone knows any cheaper places to fly into from uk London near tokyo please tell me because I'm looking around 1,689.70 for two people pretty expensive wanting to spend less really on flights because I'm not made of Money)

Staying in tokyo for 7 days

(Then haven't really got a order but places I am going to are)

Shiroishi miyagi pre feature (mainly for the fox village) but will stay around that area to look around for about 2/3 days

Gujo hachiman the water city staying there for around 3 days

And wanting to go to osaka to go to universal studios and probably stay their for around 5 days

But then I have still got 14 days where I haven't planned anything but I do need to end up back in tokyo to fly home

(Wanting to also visit Harry hedgehog cafe, j world, pokemon center, Tokyo character Street)

Wanting to spend around 150 uk pounds on presents for family and friends

If you need more info please ask need all the help I can get!

Re: Traveling to japan for one month may 2017 2016/7/29 22:19
Also hotels.. Erm I not to fussy I was to try a traditional japenese hotel at some point, I don't find hostels as long as they are clean and have their own toilet in your room and small hotels with own toilet are also fine with me I'm not fussed about staying in a fancy hotel I just want clean, with its own toilet
So any suggestions welcome

Re: Traveling to japan for one month may 2017 2016/7/30 00:54
Toyoko Inn is a chain of business hotels situated close to major JR rail stations throughout Japan. If you are using JR to travel to various cities, this chain is priced nicely (most expensive single room roughly 7800 yen) and they offer free breakfast and have washers and driers for those, like me, who don't take 2 full suitcases of clothes. Their frequent user program rewards you with a free night for every 10 paid nights. Sundays and holidays, the rate is 20% off.

https://www.toyoko-inn.com/eng/
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread