Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo to Kiso Valley, Kamikochi, Kyoto 2016/7/28 06:56
Hi all,

I plan on going to Kiso Valley (Magome and Tsumago with overnight probably Tsumago) and also Kamikochi. I will be leaving from Tokyo and after these two wish to travel to Kyoto before finally heading back to Tokyo.

What would be the best route to travel between these sights? I have considered visiting Matsumoto to also visit the castle as it seems this is somewhat of a transport hub for the area.

Is there any way to do this without going back on myself (ie it would seem I would have to go Tokyo to Matsumoto to Kamikochi to Matsumoto to Kiso to Kyoto) and ideally didn't want to back track to Matsumoto or anywhere if not needed.
If I cut Matsumoto out would that make it easier?

All advice appreciated, would be looking at two/ three days for Kamicohi / Kiso and possibly Matsumoto.
by Chris (guest)  

Re: Tokyo to Kiso Valley, Kamikochi, Kyoto 2016/7/28 10:15
Hi Chris.

Matsumoto is the best hub for the trip though you dont have to stay overnight.

I'd go Tokyo-Matsumoto and straight on to Kamikouchi, a night in Kamikouchi (Onsen Hotel is awesome) - back to Matsumoto then the Chuo line to Nagiso or whatever the station is , maybe a night at Tsumago or Magome, then the Chuo line again to Nagoya and the bullet train from Nagoya to Kyoto.

Personally, I'd also stop at Maibara (stop before Kyoto) and head to Hikone for at least a few hours. I thought Hikone was way more interesting than Tsumago (and has a good castle), though Magome is nice to see. Hikone is also part of the Nakasendo highway.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread