Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving, foreigner stress, boyfriend and cats 2016/7/29 08:44
Hello! I'm planning the big move to Tokyo with my boyfriend by 2017. The problem is I'm worried about how we will be able to find an apartment. Yes, we also plan on being there for longer than 2 years.

We are both applying to teach English, I am currently at N4 jlpt Japanese Level. I'm not so stressed about finding a job and getting the working visa but how we'll be able to find an apartment for the two of us plus our two cats.

I know that Japan isn't to fond of couples living together who aren't married and I don't want to live in the Sakura housing... and to top it all off who will let us move into an apartment with cats! ?

Does anyone know of places that rent apartments and are foreigner/ couple/animal friendly that aren't too over priced or completely unkept?
I've seen http://www.tokyorent.com/ which looks like it caters to foreigners, Does anyone know if this website is legit and has helped people and if there are others like it?

any advice helps!!!!!

by mceja1988  

Re: Moving, foreigner stress, boyfriend and cats 2016/7/29 11:57
Please first look into the quarantine process for bringing your cats over to Japan from your country; it can be very stressful. Also moving back will expose them to similar stress again.

To make things easier for you; if you get married, even if one of you do not find a job immediately, or at the same time, your spouse can stay in Japan with "dependent" status with you.

Landlords prefer married couples of course; we (by now married, Japanese and non-Japanese couple, with one cat when we moved) had some very limited choices back some years ago when we moved; things have gotten better recently, but unmarried, non-Japanese, with pets, will limit your choices considerably. Please think over your plans carefully.

Please check if "monthly apartments/mansions" (furnished apartments for temporary occupancy) allow any pets at all.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving, foreigner stress, boyfriend and cats 2016/7/29 12:00
The problem is I'm worried about how we will be able to find an apartment. Yes, we also plan on being there for longer than 2 years.

Finding an apartment shouldn't be a problem. There are several services available to help. The biggest issue may be finding a guarantor, but you can alway use a paid service. Overall its really not that hard a process, it just requires a lot of money up front so start saving now.

Bigger problem is bringing your cats. It can be a long and expensive process if you are not prepared. I suggest searching the forum as there are lots of threads explaining what you'll need to do to bring pets.

I know that Japan isn't to fond of couples living together who aren't married

That is unlikely to be an issue especially if you plan to live in the urban areas. It's pretty uncommon for a landlord to care about your marital status, and most apartments are handled by corporate management companies anyway.

Does anyone know of places that rent apartments and are foreigner/ couple/animal friendly that aren't too over priced or completely unkept?

Tokyo is a pretty big place. Do you have a specific neighborhood in mind?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Moving, foreigner stress, boyfriend and cats 2016/8/1 03:15
dear @yllwsmrf,

thank you for your response! we're thinking Nakano, Koenji area.
by mceja1988 rate this post as useful

Re: Moving, foreigner stress, boyfriend and cats 2016/8/1 07:53
As someone who tried to look for both a cat and foreigner friendly place for a reasonable price in that exact area, it was very difficult and I had to give up on having a cat (and I wasn't even coming fresh into Japan- I've been renting through this agency for 5 years). Of the 30 or so landlords we talked to only 1 was willing to have both a foreigner and a cat, and the building wasn't anywhere I wanted to live. I've even heard Japanese friends complain about the lack of pet friendly places in the area.

I do know several people with cats here, but they all live farther out of the city or keep their cars illegally (not recommended since I've seen more than a few 'please come take my cat right now because I can't afford to move and my landlord is mad' posts among acquaintances).

I don't think you'll have any problem being unmarried, though saying you're engaged usually makes agencies and landlords feel better. It's mainly a practical thing- if you're renting the apartment based on a double income and a couple breaks up they're not going to get their money. Engaged and married couples are considered more stable.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread