Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Deep fried scallops in Niigata 2016/8/5 16:39
Hi all, I am going to Japan in early Sept. for the 4th time but have never had seafood anywhere and wish to try deep fried scallops somewhere. I start in Tokyo then Niigata then Kanazawa but after that nothing planned much. Will be going to Osaka, Nagasaki, Tosu ,Hakata, Yokohama and the last3-4 nights in Tokyo, so any of those cities would do. Any info. would be much appreciated.
by russellm  

Re: Deep fried scallops in Niigata 2016/8/6 17:55
Well honestly scallops are best when eating raw (sashimi) with soy-source and wasabi. The most well-known producing district of scallops is Hokkaido followed by Aomori (northern Tohoku). If you want to eat scallops you should find restaurants specialized for "Hokkaido cuisine". This is quite popular concept in Japan so you can find this kind of restaurants in big cities such as Tokyo and Osaka. As for deep fried sea foods, you might better consider oyster. In my opinion, oyster is better when deep fried than eating raw. Oyster is produced throughout Japan.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Deep fried scallops in Niigata 2016/8/10 19:43
"I am going to Japan in early Sept. for the 4th time but have never had seafood anywhere "

So.. you've been to Japan 3 times before and you've *never had seafood*??

What on earth did you eat in Japan the last times you visited? Mind boggled..
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Deep fried scallops in Niigata 2016/8/13 14:31
Where did you get the idea of deep fried scallops? I mean, it is specialty of no place, I cannot even pinpoint to the type of restaurants that might serve it, and that is not exactly the best way to have scallops? I hope you get to enjoy some good seafood, fried or fresh or cooked otherwise, in Japan (in general) though! :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Deep fried scallops in Niigata 2016/8/13 17:01

Would you consider tempura scallops deep fried?
I had them several times in Otaru and Sapporo, and they were delicious.
by lostintranslation (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread